Sponsored by:

Cylinder head ceramic port lining issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cylinder head ceramic port lining issues

Well, I wasn't planning on doing a rebuild. In fact that is the reason why I bought this engine so that I would be able to "drop a good engine in" rather than rebuild my 3.0L. The inevitable happened and I now have spent a lot more money and still will need to rebuild an engine. Paying $6500 for an 3.6l engine that needs new rings and valve job at least really sucks!!!!!!! I would have just rebuilt the 3.0L if I would have known this. Maybe I will get "lucky" and all I need is to re ring and valve job this 3.6l.

I did a compression leak down test to all the cylinders. I used a tool that I made. When using the tool I set it @ 100 psi. disconnected and then connected the hose w/ spark plug fitting to the tool and got the following results. I noticed that the gauge on the regulator dipped along with the connection to the hose. Is this normal?

Here are the compression leak down test results:

1: 9% Air heard through crankcase breather past rings.

2: 12-13% Air heard through exhaust and rings.

3: 8% Air heard past rings

4: 11% Air heard past rings

5: 14% Air heard through exhaust and rings

6: 56% Air heard through exhaust and rings

Fawk! This much couldn't be from valves out of adjustment could it?

I pulled off the valve covers and took a look and everything looks good. No excessive cam wear on #6, I checked the valve clearances on #6 and the intake was easy for the .004 tool to enter and the exhaust was a little tight, but the .004 went all the way in.

I was examining the exhaust port on the cylinders 4-6 and noticed that #6, with 50% leak, has a weird casting shape or material missing or something? Here is a picture of the #6 Exhaust port and one of the other normal 5 exhaust ports.

How bad is this damage to the ceramic port lining and how does it need to be fixed. Any other tips, comments, advice appreciated as well.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Burger (03-20-2022)
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my top end rebuild this summer, we had the same issues with the ceramic liners on 3 of the heads. We decided to put it back togther with new valves and guides, and in my opinion the engine runs very strong. I thing if you use your car as a race car go for the new heads, if not, fix the valves and put it back together.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long has the motor been non running ?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

It was running in the car 4 weeks prior. So it essentially has never been "non-running," until I tore it apart. The car was purchased at auction with some rear trailing arm damage less than a month prior to the sale to me. I talked to the seller and he's still stating that the motor is a "strong runner." He is a mechanic, but a diesel mechanic. Don't know how far I need to tear it down, but I need to fix the cylinder leakage problem in #6 for sure.

Advice?

Thanks,
Emerson
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Cylinder leakdown test was done on the stand with a cold motor. I thought this might sway the #'s a little larger than an actual hot test, but 50% leakage seems horrible cold or hot?

Quick Reply: Cylinder head ceramic port lining issues