Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

check the fuel pump fuse #34 - it's a 15amp fuse, but I think you'll find it Ok.

Referring to the Bentley manual, the fuel pump relay (the other half of the DME relay) won't be energized unless
1) an ignition pulse is sensed
2) and a started input signal is sensed

definitely strange, so now with the DME relay in your getting power to the DME with the key turned? If so, hook up the hammer and see if you can connect and get some codes....

Last edited by mojorizing; 11-12-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: to mention the use of the hammer
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mojorizing
check the fuel pump fuse #34 - it's a 15amp fuse, but I think you'll find it Ok.

Referring to the Bentley manual, the fuel pump relay (the other half of the DME relay) won't be energized unless
1) an ignition pulse is sensed
2) and a started input signal is sensed

definitely strange, so now with the DME relay in your getting power to the DME with the key turned? If so, hook up the hammer and see if you can connect and get some codes....
NO

With the DME relay installed (no jumper) I have no power to the DME itself at position 37. I only have power to position 18, the battery position. So this is just a real confusing situation. I am begining to wonder if it is either one of two things:

1. one the grounds is not good

2. the reference mark sensor is not working

with respect to the second item, I have a new reference mark sensor but I had to splice it to the old harness plug. I did this by matching the white wire to the white wire on the new sensor, the black wire to the black wire (could be a brown wire but lets call it black) and then the silver or ground wire to the sheath on the old harness plug. I did this slowly and patiently and I think its right.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 PM
chrisoutzen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check your ignition switch. Seems to me that no power at 86 on the DME relay is the only way that you can not get power to the DME (pin 37.) So check the ignition switch also check 86 at the DME relay is powered with the key on..
Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

I checked that, there is power to the DME relay at that position with the key on. I don't think it is the ignition switch. I think it has something to do with those three what I assume are grounds? (the smaller pin slots with in that same relay logic) but what I don't know.... yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

OK

So I took my DME over to user name Slammed1000's house and tried it in his car. Wouldn't start & it made the same strange buzzing noise when we put ignition to 'on' before we cranked the engine. Then we put his DME back in his car and no buzzing noise and then it fired right up!

So, I ordered a re-built unit from Vertex as they have them on the shelf and can overnight them. 600 bucks after the core charge. I am going to take Slammed1000's DME back to my house and try and start my car with it. I will update the thread once I do this step. I may still have a reference mark sensor issue... I will explain that aspect later.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

she is running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I put my friends DME in my car (Slammed1000) and she fired right up! So the reference mark sensor works and so did my splice. :-D

Thank you, all of you, I can't express to you how much I appreciate this forum. I really hope that this thread and what I learned will allow me to help someone else.

Again, a sincere 'thank you' to you guys.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Default pic

she is dirty, but she runs!
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations!!

That's awesome.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks for your help!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

nice wheels!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
loot87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. What a nightmare. At least you know you ran all the traps before plopping down $600.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loot87
Wow. What a nightmare. At least you know you ran all the traps before plopping down $600.
yeah, it was rough. without this forum, I'd have spent way more at a shop not to mention that I may or may not have been able to get a mechanic who 'knows' these cars.

I consider myself blessed to have some cool guys to help me out. I sure hope this thread helps some other guy lost in the wiring and electrical wilderness down the line.

Now I can move on to the carpet install!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to throw salt in the wound (though I suppose it can't be helped with this question), but do you suppose the DME failure was the result of changing the chip out? Can you pin-point anything you did/did not do that might help others avoid this kind of failure?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Not to throw salt in the wound (though I suppose it can't be helped with this question), but do you suppose the DME failure was the result of changing the chip out? Can you pin-point anything you did/did not do that might help others avoid this kind of failure?
ok, let me make this clear, I didn't install the chip wrong or otherwise 'man handle' the DME. As I've stated, I had a long standing, I will term it 'ghost' ignition issue.

I don't mind the question, I just wanted to make this clear.

Quick Reply: Strange no start issue