Sponsored by:

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Suspension

Found out why the flash is so tail happy, everything is wornout!
Dampers are creamed, springs arent right, rubber bush,s worn out, the lot is all FU*KED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking at £1500 to sort
Everytime a buy a car i buy one that needs ££££ spending on it, wot a dummy!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Your car is going to handle better than ever when it's done!

So what needs work ... 1,500 GBP sounds a bit pricey. Does that include labour?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you thinking about doing the work yourself or have it done? If doing it yourself you could probably do the work incrementally. If having it done, on the other hand, it is probably best to do it all at once as you don't want to pay them multiple times to take the same bits on and off.

Just to commiserate with you a bit, most of us have either replaced our shocks/struts or we are driving on mostly worn out ones . If we didn't rework the bushings when we did the dampers then we have that issue too. Is it still drivable? Still fun? Dangerous? If you answer Yes, yes, no, then relax... you have time to save up your pocket change.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
polar964
Racer

Hi Russ, if its any consolation, i'm going down that same route, not that my springs and shocks are shot. However the bushes in the lower wishbones are showing signs or wear and ever since i bought the car i have umd and ard about lowering. The thing is, in having either the bushes or the complete wishbones replaced, it is recommended to have the alignment and geometry checked. So in going down that route it makes sense to change and lower the suspension at the same time, rather than pay twice for the set up. Payment upfront ..... long term pleasure
keep smiling mate your in the best car on the road ....besides me of course!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the words of wisdom, iam not as upset now. Had a bad day, first i had a tooth removed, then told my car if fuc*ed! Quality day!
The £1500 is for a bilstein kit, front frame poly kit, ball joints and a geometry set up, inc labour.
So its a lot ov money but at least it will be right. No more booze + fun for russ, gotta save up.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That may seem like a lot.. but when you're done adding up all the work... that actually seems reasonable fo me from this side of the pond... Over here just the alignment and corner balance can be over $500.. so you're not doing that badly in my book.

- you didn't mention springs.... What are you thinking there?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess from what you said at the Oulton trackday that this was all revealed when you took it into for an alignment check and the price is a quote for them to do the work. £1,500 for new shocks/springs and wishbone bushes, all in and fitted is pretty good. Especially when having it done by our friendly Rennlist experts in Warrington .

At least you get the chance to decide now how you want the car set up so it would be worth considering which suspension you are going for. The fitted price to me suggests it would be something like Bilstein HDs with H&R springs. But you could also consider the H&R coilovers (will cost a bit more) or the Bilstein PSS9 kit (will cost even a bit more). But spending a bit more now could save you a lot in the future.

Like Paul said, many of us are at the stage where we need big jobs like this done. Although the suspension on mine is relatively fresh and handles well (as you know ), it's not where I want it to be yet and I will be going down the suspension upgrade path myself in the near future .
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

I think that was with h+r springs. At the moment its got custom made springs on it! W.T.F
The springs dont even take the weight ov the car correctly, this makes the shockers work twice as hard causing everything to where twice as fast!
Some peolpe need shooting.
When its done thou, WOW ive been told it will be like a go kart
Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch...Custom made as in "cut" springs?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

Sorry to mention it Russ, but you did have a PPI done didn't you?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
jamesallum
Instructor

Must get my suspension and wishbones done too. Have just about put aside the right amount then some ar$e keys my car last week = £400.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Scratched your car for no reason! Wot a WAN@ER!
Why do that? They need shooting as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

Originally Posted by 964russ
Scratched your car for no reason! Wot a WAN@ER!
Why do that? They need shooting as well.
Yeah very very annoying

Having looked into new wishbones, shocks and springs a fair bit the most cost effective way of doing this seems to be replacing the bushes in the wishbone arms with powerflex poly eurofane ones. Jota Engineering apparently are about to offer arms on an exchange basis (01293 775550).

www.carnewal.com currently have the bilstein HD's with the H&R greens for the 964 on sale at 1195 Euro shipping to the UK and VAT included.
(£834 at the current exchange rate).

Think this is the route I will take and them to get them fitted at my indie at £50 an hour - with an aim of keeping the total cost including alignment nearer to £1,200

Quick Reply: Suspension