Poor ride quality??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poor ride quality??

After buying my 1993 C2 964, I changed all 4 shocks for new Bilsteins that the PO gave me. I also changed the rear tires for Yohohama's ADVAN SPORT V103 in the same size that it had before: 255/40ZR 17.The front ones still have some life left
the car now goes much better when the road is perfect but it copies everything when it is not, giving it a harsh ride that gets worse as the road gets worser

Is this normal? or maybe something is not right either with the shocks or the tyres? previous shocks and rear tires were very worn out
Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

964's can have a good ride or a very harsh ride depending on how the suspension is setup. Can you give us more details about your suspension? What springs do you have? Is the car lowered? If so, is it below RS height? And also, have you checked your tire pressures? With 17" wheels, you should be running 36psi front and rear.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks Rob, AFAIK the suspension set up is standard as are the springs
I'm going to check the air pressure today as I asked the guys that put the Yokos to inflate them to 36 but I have to check just to be sure
Old 11-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I've always thought my '93 C2's ride was harsh, although it is still riding on original suspension bits. Only 62,000 miles but it's been the same since 48,000, when I bought it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kike924
I also changed the rear tires for Yohohama's ADVAN SPORT V103 in the same size that it had before: 255/40ZR 17.The front ones still have some life left
What brand are the front tires????? It is important to have matching tires all around!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe that is part of the reason, the front tires are Hankook Ventus in the normal size for the front: 205/50zr17, I`m planning to change them as soon as I get other thing done
Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Ride quality is very subjective. I've used my C4 as a daily driver for the last couple of years. I didn't mind the ride and liked the car enough to drive it daily.

I recently picked up another car which is much less stiffly suspended and the transition into the C4 is a bit of a shock to an experienced Porsche driver.

What car did you come from? What are you expecting? What size wheels? What are the roads like?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

My other car is a peugeot 307, but my Porsche before the 964 was a 924, the 24 was stiff, this one is stiffer.
The wheels are 17 and streets and normal roads here in Buenos Aires rank between good, not so good and poor.
My concern over ride quality is simply to know if it´s normal, if that´s the normal ride I will adapt and keep enjoying the car.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe the difference is in spring design. The stock 964 springs are linear and have only one spring rate while the torsion bars in the 924 are progressive, i.e. start soft and become stiffer. If you replace the stock springs with Eibach or H&R lowering springs, I believe you will have a more compliant and comfortable ride. This was my experience going from stock springs to the Eibachs in my C4 (before it became a track car).
Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

Don't take this the wrong way guys but what does a "harsh" ride mean in the US? I have driven some roads in New England that feel like 3rd World farm tracks and some on the West Coast that you could play billiards on. We have some in London which make New Hampshire roads look smooth and some which are genuinely good. My RS might feel like it is spanking you on some really rough roads, but generally it is no problem at all as long as you swerve around pot holes.

I know that a 996/997 is set really high on a US model as opposed to ROW but if you want a bouncy, unfeeling ride, surely you buy a Cadilac or a 4WD thingy. If you want something that goes round corners, you buy a low slung, well ballanced car like a 964.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stewart H
Don't take this the wrong way guys but what does a "harsh" ride mean in the US?
Oh, don't get me started on "harsh" roads! Have you been to Chicago? Please! Here we have two seasons: winter and construction. Once the white stuff melts, it's nonstop road work for the rest of the year!

However, the original poster is from Argentina, so perhaps this p*ssing contest is a bit off topic. But as you rightly pointed out, Stewart, there's great variety when it comes to our roads here in the US. In the Northern regions, where snow and ice can be found in abundance from Dec-Mar, the roads tend to take a beating. In warmer regions, however, like sunny California, you're treated to thousands of miles of blemish free pavement.

I have no idea what our friend from Buenos Aires is up against, though. Perhaps he can enlighten us?

Quick Reply: Poor ride quality??