Sponsored by:

Sorting out the Interior...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:05 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorting out the Interior...

Hi - got a couple of questions, i cant decide what to do with my interior.

As much as i'd love the completely stripped out look - its taking an absolute age to remove this glue. I'm tempted to buy the appbiz RS carpet set, and fit it. This means however that my grey headlining needs to be black.

So - the headlining - what is it made from, and is it dye-able?

I'm going to have to trim the new carpet set around the roll cage - not that difficult to do really, but IIRC my carpet side trims etc are grey, so again i need black ones...

I need to retrim \ remake the doorcards anyway, so they arent an issue, same with the grey parts of the dashboard, i'll get it all retrimmed in alcantara..

Anything else i havent thought of?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM
964rh
Pro

My headlining is vinyl, a trimmer friend quoted me £120 for a new one in a faux suede (not alcantara).
Only trouble is I think it's a windows out jobbie to fit properly.

Appbiz do a grey carpet set iirc, give Bob a ring to confirm. Would save the hassle!

Rob
Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

windows will be out anyway for welding of the roll cage \ repaint inside...

i'd get a grey carpet set, of i liked grey... only like black :S

i'll get a price for a new one to be made..
Old 11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
964rh
Pro

Let me know what qquotes you get and I'll have a word with my friend.

Not a million miles away from you.

Rob
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

did you have yours done in the end? i'd rather get someone that has done one before to be honest...

Last edited by demonfish; 11-03-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonfish
Anything else i havent thought of?
Console - Shift ****, hand brake, trim piece and carpet. These are also grey, right?
Rear side panels (under windows) - If you use carpet, it's a bit tricky to get it right. The piece is sort of a triangle but you'll need to leave cutouts for the cage, seat belt end piece (where it retracts) and the belt trim ring. What makes it tricky is that the interior surface there is far from flat and you need to cut a piece that moves with the undulations and accommodates the other items. Using the orignal panel, dyeing it black and cutting out a piece for the cage can produce a nice result.
Doors - I'd highly recommend you replace your stock cards with minimal, RS-style cards. Otherwise, you'll need to redye and recarpet a number of items. And it might not fit if you install a cage with door bars.
Check the Dismantlers - Interior pieces in black might be available. Shift ****, hand brake and center console would be good items to pick up.
Dyeing - I'm pretty certain you can redye any of the vinyl or leather bits. Sticking with smooth surfaces will give a much cleaner look than alcantara, IMHO.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Console - Shift ****, hand brake, trim piece and carpet. These are also grey, right?
Carpet will be replaced, console recovered, shift **** already done - handbrake an issue...

Rear side panels (under windows) - If you use carpet, it's a bit tricky to get it right. The piece is sort of a triangle but you'll need to leave cutouts for the cage, seat belt end piece (where it retracts) and the belt trim ring. What makes it Tricky is that the interior surface there is far from flat and you need to cut a piece that moves with the undulations and accommodates the other items. Using the orignal panel, dyeing it black and cutting out a piece for the cage can produce a nice result.
I think the RS set comes with a piece for here...

Doors - I'd highly recommend you replace your stock cards with minimal, RS-style cards. Otherwise, you'll need to redye and recarpet a number of items. And it might not fit if you install a cage with door bars.
I've already taken off the door pockets as they interfered with the cage, i wont be buying the RS style, i'll make some, possibly in carbon sheet, but still RS style.

Check the Dismantlers - Interior pieces in black might be available. Shift ****, hand brake and center console would be good items to pick up.

Dyeing - I'm pretty certain you can redye any of the vinyl or leather bits. Sticking with smooth surfaces will give a much cleaner look than alcantara, IMHO.

The alcantara trimming will be the last job once the carpets etc are in, so i'll make the decision based on that...

Suddenly its looking a lot easier to get that glue off!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a big job but the finished product will definitely be worth it.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 AM
964rh
Pro

Nope, never got mine done, others things that make it stop better took priorty!

I don't think he's done porsche ones before but I have watched him make one for a 355 from scratch for the local ferrari dealership.

I will get it done sometime, I think a suede headlining looks great, not sure what i would do for weight reduction tho'

I think i'd have gone for the completely stripped out look but as you say the glue is a pain in the ****.

What cage have you gone for?

Rob
Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

i went for a Custom Cages kit - Core 7 - which is almost full monty but not quite.

i've found a new heat gun does the trick, my ageing old one was not hot enough.

It took me 3 or 4 hours to do parcel shelf and seat back, it took me 15 mins to do a whole inner sill with the new one

stripped out here we come!

Quick Reply: Sorting out the Interior...