Sponsored by:

Touch up paint suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:51 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Touch up paint suggestions...

My car has picked up a few road scars here and there, and want to do some touch up on the chips. But, I don't want to have a bunch of globs everywhere, also. I'm looking for suggestions on the type of touch up paint to buy (pen, bottle, ...), where, and best ways to apply. I certainly have a Clear Bra on my wish list, once I get the chips taken care of.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWS964
My car has picked up a few road scars here and there, and want to do some touch up on the chips. But, I don't want to have a bunch of globs everywhere, also. I'm looking for suggestions on the type of touch up paint to buy (pen, bottle, ...), where, and best ways to apply. I certainly have a Clear Bra on my wish list, once I get the chips taken care of.
There is something called Langka, it comes it a small bottle and is used on the paint as you touch up. It makes the paint flow out evenly in the chip. I have some, and I have the touch-up bottle form Porsche, the touch-up pen, etc., but I must confess I haven't used them. I bought a Dr. Colorchip kit, which is basically touchup paint with Langka already in it, I believe. It works really well if you spend the time to do it right and follow their instructions. The color match on my Guards Red was identical.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

An old technique is to get a wooden matchstick and shave it down with a knife or razor blade to something that you can control the paint with. Feel free to thin the touch up paint with the appropriate thinner for the type of paint it is. Build up the paint slowly, a little at a time. It's best to keep up with those things or risk corrosion down the road.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used www.paintscratch.com for all of my Porsches and other car too. I have never been dissapointed with any color, and they sell the paint in various containers with several applicators and kits.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

+1 for Paintscratch.com, if you have an artist supply store near you you can get a very fine pointed brush and that works great, or a toothpick can work.. I bought 3X magnifier glasses when In did it last too..
Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used the factory touch-up paint and camel-hair art brushes to fill scratches and rock chips. After smoothing with 1000 grit, compound, polish, and wax, it is difficult to tell where the touch up is.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a scratch use the factory touch up paint but not the brush in the bottle cap though. As noted above go to a hobby or artist supply store and get a couple of fine tipped brushes. Get some paint reducer from an auto paint store, (recently got a gallon from AutoZone for $15 vs about $25 from the auto paint store) put a couple of paint drops in a cap, dip your brush in the thinner then mix the two to thin it enought to flow in to the scratch. Works great, takes a little practice and steady hand but no gobs.

If it is a round chip/pit, you can use the toothpic method. Same deal, dip the toothpic in the paint, (if it's a small chip you may need to thin slightly) then touch the tip of the toothpic in the center of the chip and let flow in to the hollow. Wait 24 hours and repeat as needed to build up flush with the surface.

Be sure to remove any wax in the chip area first. Finish as springer3 notes.

Quick Reply: Touch up paint suggestions...