Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for removing sunroof switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing sunroof switch?

I use my sunroof quite a bit & it was working fine yesterday. Today, head out for some chores & the sunroof won't open - not a peep out of the motor when I try the switch in either direction. Checked the fuse & it is fine. Tried prying the switch out, and it is plenty easy to pry the forward edge, but the end closest to the dash binds up completely. Tried prying that end first, but didn't have any luck & didn't want to use too much force.

And I thought the window switches were aggravating - at least those are a breeze to pop out!

David S.

'93 Carrera 4
'97 BMW Z3 2.8
Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, since there were a few views and no replies - thought I'd post an update.

The sunroof would not open for approx 2 days (despite much fiddling with the switch). Since that time, it has operated flawlessly. My best guesstimate is that a combination of a couple of humid days and a poor ground or other connection somewhere caused the grief. Thank goodness that it is working now - much needed in mid 30 degree Chicago area weather...
Old 05-06-2020, 04:51 PM
strathspey
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Intermittent sunroof problem

I see this is an old post, but I thought I'd try to revive it with a description of my sunroof issues. Perhaps somebody will reply.
My sunroof simply stopped working one day. I pressed the switch to close it and the roof moved about an inch and stopped dead. Could move it in either direction. Fuse OK. Relay OK. Rocker switch OK (I replaced it with a new one to be sure). The motor was not making any noise, so I assumed it may have quit. I unzipped the head liner, removed the sound board, and placed volt meter probes on the wires. I thought I could see if there was any power getting there. When I pressed the switch, the sunroof started working again. Just like that. I pulled the motor out and verified there was no mechanical interference in the motion. I could move the roof in either direction by manually spinning the rubber 'clutch' on the mechanism. So, I put it all back together and went for another ride. I opened / closed the roof several times to verify it was OK. Was it a Gremlin? Anyway, on my way home I closed the roof and it almost didn't make it. The motor stopped and started several times before jerking the roof closed.
If anyone can advise me on a fix, I'd be very grateful. New motors cost a lot of money. I ordered a used one from LA Dismantlers, so perhaps that might be the fix. Loose wire? Corroded connector? These are the things I'll try next.

Another thing. Is it possible to install a new sunroof switch without dropping the lower dash? I got the old one out with a lot of effort, but the new one won't go in because the lower dash is blocking off a small area of the hole closest to the dash. I might be able to loosen the lower dash with removing it and drop it just enough to make room.

I repost when I have answers.

Cheers

Blair B.
'92 964 C2

Last edited by strathspey; 05-06-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add my name

Quick Reply: Tips for removing sunroof switch?