Sponsored by:

Exhaust system pics...advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system pics...advise needed

Yes - I have used the search function but still didn't figure it out yet.

Here's the situation: I have a dual exhaust system with what looks like the primary muffler. I also can see the cat is in plce at the left rear.

My plan is to change to a cup pipe and cat bypass for mainly better sound and ideally some hp. The cat bypass doesn't seem to be an issue...just replace the current cat. But the cup pipe makes me wonder whether I can mount it with the current dual exhaust, or does this require major modifications. Or, do I already have a cup pipe on the car as is?

You can tell that I don't have much of a clue when it comes to these mods - Hope you can shed some light on what options I have.
Attached Images     
Old 10-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

by cup pipe do you mean the straight exhaust primary (delete the one you photo'ed, you do not have the normal; secondary exhaust on your car).
for your car - i would delete the cat and leave the rest alone for now IMHO.
to move to the "cup" bypass you would have an extra tip outlet

alternatively you can hollow out the primary muffler (which you have) to increase the sound from it, i would still delete the cat though....
Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Thanks Rob,

That helps... So I don't have the secondary exhaust which means if I delete the primary too, than the sound would probably be a) a bit too noisy b) the dual exhaust wouldn't be a straight fit and c) this setup would likely be detrimental to hp.

I guess just the Cat bypass seems to be the way to go - Any recommendations and sources where I can buy a cat bypass?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Just checked the cat bypass products on the market. There are two versions:

One is just a straight pipe design the other one is a "empty cat" design with basically the outer shape like a catalyc converter but apparently empty.

Is there a big difference between these two design? Wich one is the one to go with?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of each type and if my memory serves the one that looks like an empty cat has actually got some kind of baffle in there, hence is a bit quieter than a straight through pipe. Hence why the straight through type are usually a fair bit cheaper.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not put a cup pipe on without the secondary muffler. The cup pipe replaces the primary muffler on a stock setup.
All you have now is a primary (or at least an after market muffler in the location of the primary).
If you remove the muffler you have now and remove the cat, it will be very very loud.
Try going with a cat bypass first. Fabspeed has a nice one (no affil). It looks like a cat, so you will pass visual inspections.
If you want to try the other way around, i.e. keep the cat and remove the muffler...
Remove the muffler you have and leave the cat. Fire it up and give it a few revs... you will know pretty quickly if you like it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust system pics...advise needed