Sponsored by:

Bilstein and H&R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Hendrik964
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I kept the factory springs when I installed Bilsteins. I set to the low end of the factory ride height tolerance. For street use it is hard to fault.

I grew up in Pretoria, BTY.
Springer3, I have considered using the original springs, but I am not sure if they are still ok. The car was about 50 mm lower on the right rear with all the shocks adjusted at their lowest. I do not think that the weight balance could be that bad. So I suspect that the springs is not at their best. A pity that you are not in Pretoria anymore, it would have helped if I could feel the ride quality of you suspension.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Hendrik964
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chodaboy
I echo what Hawk911 says as well..
I run Bilstien HD's and H&R Greens. The ride heights are adjustable (when I got the corners weighed/aligned) and work very well for me. The ride quality is superior on the street and does quite well on the track. My overall impression of Bilstein's is that they are high quality.
I have not been disipointed by them at all.
I would think with that with that many miles on your car, the change/upgrade would be dramatic, impressive.

Good luck.
Chodaboy, I am sure the change will be dramatic.
I have decided to go for the Green springs. I have noticed that you also have a 1990. Could you maybe tell me where in the US can I purchase a complete set of Bilsteins with Green springs. Our Bilstein agent quoted me US$2150 with installation and setup, but I would rather want to do it myself. Also, where did you buy the strut brace?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a search. Hildy911 posted where he bought his from, and we're changing it out Saturday.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I am curious to find out how much were you able to lower using factory springs via Bilsteins' perch adjustment. The factory perches can only move the ride height ~10mm and seems to be used primarily for corner balancing.
It has been three years, but I recall I had plenty of adjustment when I got the car to the lower height tolerance. The tolerance is only +/- 5 mm IRRC. You don't get a one-to-one change in height, since you are transfering weight to both the corner getting adjusted, and the opposite diagonal of the car. I takes quite a few iterations at each wheel before the height settles in where you get a stable reading at each corner. Remember to roll the car forward and backward to take the side load off the tires and help the car settle.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
hawk911
Race Car

take it for a drive; the car will settle after a few miles. I didn't get the CB right away, but the car was still very stable when driving. I just wouldn't drive it for months unless you want new tires too.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't want to hijack this thread but...........

I am currently installing the Bilstein/H&R suspension set up and now need some advice/info please.

I have removed the blower from the left hand side of the engine bay to reveal several pipes that appear to pertain only to tiptronic cars. I presume these are oil pipes from the oil tank?

By disconnecting them am i likely to have issues with oil everywhere or air locks on reconnection?

I have not been able to find any help using the search function so i will take photos or anything i can do to assist others doing a suspension upgrade on a tiptronic.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Photos will definitely help, for I have difficulties in picturing the pipes.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Pipe pics........left hand side directly behind the blower motor.

What are they for and can i disconnect and reconnect them without creating some other issues?
The very bottom one looks like an air con hose. Are the others full of ATF or do they come from the oil tank?

If any one is close to doing or considering the suspension upgrade on a tip feel free to ask questions or request more pics as i go through the upgrade.

Last edited by nirich; 09-20-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 AM
donoman
Racer

Hendrik, I bought everything from Tire Rack. Make sure you get the right parts for your year car as 89/90's were different thant 91-93's (at least in the U.S.). I believe the fronts are same but it's the rears that you need to be sure about.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:56 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

I too bought everything from the Tire Rack......excellent prices, service and shipping costs. The shox shop is also another source.

Parts numbers for a 1990 C2:
Bilstein - F4-VE3-5277-HO (L), F4-VE3-5278-HO (R), F4-B46-1735-HO (Rears).

H&R Sport Springs - 29813 (Green)

There are also some locking nuts and gaskets to replace the original 17 yr old bits.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by nirich
I don't want to hijack this thread but...........

I am currently installing the Bilstein/H&R suspension set up and now need some advice/info please.

I have removed the blower from the left hand side of the engine bay to reveal several pipes that appear to pertain only to tiptronic cars. I presume these are oil pipes from the oil tank?

By disconnecting them am i likely to have issues with oil everywhere or air locks on reconnection?

I have not been able to find any help using the search function so i will take photos or anything i can do to assist others doing a suspension upgrade on a tiptronic.

Cheers,
Nick
Nick, I'm pretty sure you don't have to disconnect those to get at the left rear shock bolts. It's tight, but when we did mine, these lines were not touched at all. they are on all cars, not just your Tip. Try using an air rachet if you have one; there's not a lot of swing room there for a full rachet.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by hawk911
Nick, I'm pretty sure you don't have to disconnect those to get at the left rear shock bolts. It's tight, but when we did mine, these lines were not touched at all. they are on all cars, not just your Tip. Try using an air rachet if you have one; there's not a lot of swing room there for a full rachet.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have H&R/Bilsteins and I love the handling of the car since the switch. However, 964's are very low once lowered (especially in this age of monster SUV's)

Admittedly, I find I do bump the underneath of my car on steep driveways, curbs etc. every once in a while, so you have to be very careful imo.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nirich
Pipe pics........left hand side directly behind the blower motor.

What are they for and can i disconnect and reconnect them without creating some other issues?
The very bottom one looks like an air con hose. Are the others full of ATF or do they come from the oil tank?
The upper rubber hose connects to the carbon canister located in front of the left side rear wheel. The middle hose is a vacuum line for the brakes (with a barbed fitting that is a PITA) and the bottom hose is the fuel return line. So the upper two can be disconnected without worry, the fuel return hose is better left alone as it will dump fuel all over the place. And obviously the AC (two hard metallic) lines are under pressure so you don't want to open those.

If you really have problems getting back there with a torque wrench you can remove the two M6 bolts that hold the support bracket to the intake manifold. There is a little bit of wiggle room with the lines still connected but not much.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 PM
hawk911
Race Car

use an extension and a swivel to get back there. We did that today, and it works. PS- it only took about 7.5 hrs and that included lunch and a trip to a muffler place to get the rear caps off. They were frozen on, and I don't have Acedaline torches handy.

Quick Reply: Bilstein and H&R