Sponsored by:

New bucket seats...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bucket seats...

just got my bucket seats from Germany delivered today. I didn't mount them yet but checked out the seating position... man those are narrow! The seat widths is around 35 cm or just under 14 inches. I am 1.93, 95 kg and just manage to squeeze in...Is that normal? Anyone with bucket seats can give me some dimensions of the seat widths for comparison?

As you can tell I've never sat in a bucket seat before... just wondering how it goes when I drive a longer distance.
Attached Images    
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Freejack
Advanced

hi toni,

I just bought my buckets from a friend an he is also all little bit taller than me. he did some new borings into the recaro frame. In my eyes he didn't that well, but the result is o.k. I am now able, to go with helmet and enough space for some jumps inside !!

good luck.
Frank

this are mine, Recaro Pole Position
Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Freejack
Advanced

the minimum seat area is 32 cm width. but because of the formed out corner for the safety belt, it is quiet comfortable.

Frank 1,81 with lovely 89kg.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Frank, your Pole Positions look very similar... looking at your picture, I figure that the holes for the seat belts have been enlarged which results in some more room and a more comfy seat. HHmm might work but i don't feel like messing with my new seats at that stage.

I see you have a bunch of parts lying around...what's the plan? ...a track car?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Freejack
Advanced

toni,

take a look to the parallel thread, 964 signal green !!!
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! Those are amazing!

As for fit, I have SPG's which are snug (preferable for racing) but not intolerable. I've even made long trips in them, 5-6 hours. If the pressure on your hips and rib cage is uncomfortable, then you may need to limit usage to shorter trips.

One other area to check is lumbar support. The Recaros have a concave back which may cause fatigue or discomfort over time. I added a lumbar pad similar to the one below ($25 from OGRacing). You can hide it between the pad and seat back.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Freejack
Advanced

I had a RS copy in my former 964. the Recaro PP are more comfortable to me, because they have a more modern layout.
Most important to me was, the RPP are the only seats with a technical improvement to legalize them in Germany.

Frank
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started with cloth covered Recaro Pole Positions in my C2 and they were great on the road but did not give me enough lateral thigh support in very fast corners on the track.

Then I got original leather covered RS seats but they were too thight and uncomfortably far to the left of center.

Finally I had a Recaro SPG XL which was great for lateral support and quite comfortable. However, the harness did not run very well over my shoulders since the openings were too high. And the seat was almost too big for our 964s!

In my RS I now have the original RS cloth Recaros. They are tight but close to the center line and fit perfectly. The only issue being a lack of head support height. But else they are great!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wheels are those !
Old 10-16-2007, 03:36 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Pete for the wheels look here: http://www.ap-car-design.de/

... one of the best decisions I made with mods of my car.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That shop has some really nice stuff !
Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the problem w/seats....even a standard recaro pole position is tight. Best seat is the oe Recaro made for the '94 Speedster...its wider and has the trampoline webbing on it. Super comfy...no smashin your nuts or making your *** go numb on a long haul. Stupid expensive though....even if you can find a pair!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 AM
pcarcraig
Rennlist Member

Who made the seats you're installing?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Freejack
Advanced

Originally Posted by LA964RS
That's the problem w/seats....even a standard recaro pole position is tight. Best seat is the oe Recaro made for the '94 Speedster...its wider and has the trampoline webbing on it. Super comfy...no smashin your nuts or making your *** go numb on a long haul. Stupid expensive though....even if you can find a pair!

it is like the 993RS seats. they have the tramolin too.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Default Seats are in now...

Managed to put the bucket seats in the car. Everything fitted nicely and was complete with rails and screws.

First impressions:
There's no way to get in and out of the car now without looking ridiculous...but hey that's how you can tell it's a proper sports car, right?

They ain't comfortable but once you go through the first fast corner it's all worth it.

I think I shaved at least 50 KG of weight from the car... These babies weigh literally next to nothing while the OEM are real heavy... I carried them around and was surprised just how much weight the electrics add to these seats.

here some pics:
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: New bucket seats...