Sponsored by:

More questions PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:25 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions PROBLEM

I still have to diagnose a problem with my car.

I have already purchased and installed a new DME. Unsuccesful. Car still runs rough and will not straighten out and run smooth.

My car has run great all summer. This came out of nowhere. I do think it has to be ignition or 02 related. I replaced my 02 around March. Will they go bad this soon. I have a 1224 code also. Any diagnostic for the 02?

Any ideas are welcomed.........
Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is your distribuiter belt snapped? make sure it will run on both coils. Coil could also be bad. ISV may be dirty.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
MassGuy
Racer

The distributor belt has been check and it work. Car will run on either location.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Does your car start on either coil alone?

I had rough running that turned out to be coils.

Others on this forum have recently suggested that it is time to change out original coils anyway.

Not sure if that's been done on your car yet, but it might be a reasonable thing to try.

Oh, and go for the OE not OEM from pelican. The OEM's are bosch from Brazil and are poor quality.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MassGuy
My car has run great all summer. This came out of nowhere. I do think it has to be ignition or 02 related. I replaced my 02 around March. Will they go bad this soon. I have a 1224 code also. Any diagnostic for the 02?
1224 means you have a problem with the O2 sensor connector or the wiring from the sensor (see below). Did you buy an OE oxygen sensor from a Porsche dealership or did you buy an OEM Bosch (or generic) that requires you to splice the wiring harness together? If OE, disconnect the sensor in the engine compartment and plug it back in and do not use any contact cleaner on the pins or the connector whatsoever. If you had to splice the wiring harness I would check the connection there. Diagnostics for the O2 sensor involve plugging a voltmeter inline and checking for 0.1V - 1V or doing the same with a hammer. The other thing to check is the jumper switch on the DME control unit wiring harness underneath your driver's side seat.

Code:
1  1  2  4 
|  |  |  |
|  |  +--+- Fault Code
|  +------- Constant Fault (2 = loose contact)
+---------- DME Control unit
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Jason just unplug and replug. Does this reset it or something? Do I need to buy a new one and replace this or what do you suggest?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MassGuy
just unplug and replug. Does this reset it or something? Do I need to buy a new one and replace this or what do you suggest?
Your problem is likely to be a wiring problem, the sensor itself should be fine. The connector may have just come loose or there could be a problem with a pin contact, etc. Is the O2 sensor OE from Porsche, OEM from Bosch or generic?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 AM
MassGuy
Racer

The 02 is from Vertex and is OE or I just swapped them out. Non-universal. I will dig in today.

Jason I really need to Thank You.....you are always right there. It is apreciated.

Quick Reply: More questions PROBLEM