Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Pulley Shims

Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Pulley Shims

Hi just replacing my belts and need some additional shims as i dont have enough/the right combination for the new belt (want to stop the burning!!)

Now the OPC has some available at £3/$6 each!! Is there an alternative to official porsche shims as these look like any other washer, just thinner!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

?? If your belt is burning, GENERALLY, this is because your belt is slipping! If this is the case, you should be removing the shims between the pulley halves so as to tighten the belt.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You should always have the correct number of shims. They just get moved inside and outside the pulley halves to change the adjustment.

There should be 3 each of:

964.106.517.01 shim
964.106.268.00 shim

I think I paid $3 each from Sunset. No affiliation.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Scamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by LouZ
?? If your belt is burning, GENERALLY, this is because your belt is slipping! If this is the case, you should be removing the shims between the pulley halves so as to tighten the belt.
I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the belt was getting hot/smoking because it was too tight....

In total I have 4 of the shims that go at the back nearest the fan (with 3 holes) and 4 of the plain shims, along with the 2 half pulleys

I read on here that there were more than that and assumed that some had gone missing over the years.

With more shims on the belt is very loose......what should the correct number of shims be for the outer belt (one nearest the bumper, not the AC belt). I am assuming that i do not have the correct combination to get the correct spacing....

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I'm sorry, it appears the correct number is 6 each; not 6 total.

I'll check the manuals and update if this (too) is incorrect!

Dave
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I can't find the information on the correct spacing of the shims.

No information is better than bad information. Sorry. I'll have to check the docs before posting next!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

If your burning through belts check that you have not accidentally locked the fan pulley to the alternator pulley. I went through three belts before I figured this out!!!

If you still need shims I have a few spare you can have.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scamper
I thought (maybe incorrectly) that the belt was getting hot/smoking because it was too tight....

In total I have 4 of the shims that go at the back nearest the fan (with 3 holes) and 4 of the plain shims, along with the 2 half pulleys

I read on here that there were more than that and assumed that some had gone missing over the years.

With more shims on the belt is very loose......what should the correct number of shims be for the outer belt (one nearest the bumper, not the AC belt). I am assuming that i do not have the correct combination to get the correct spacing....

Thanks
This sounds a bit strange because none of the shims should be placed 'fan side' of the half pulleys. You put the required number of shims between the half pulleys to create the correct tension (none makes it the tightest and 4 make it the loosest). Unused shims are then 'stored' bumper side (i.e. they have no effect on tension). If someone has 'stored' shims 'fan side' this could be your problem.

As a guide, I found that when I put new belts on that two shims between each pulley gave the right tension. It's also important to ensure the pulley halves mate together evenly by tightening the three nuts that pull them together a little bit at a time and continually feeding the belt round the pulley to prevent it jamming.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
If your burning through belts check that you have not accidentally locked the fan pulley to the alternator pulley. I went through three belts before I figured this out!!!

If you still need shims I have a few spare you can have.
Thanks for the offer Strega - if I cant get them from Porsche Reading I will drop you a line!

I took some pictures when removing everything and placed all the spacers, pulleys etc in the correct order for refitting so I am pretty sure I have in the correct place. Its just that I am worried if I have them too tight I will damage the alt bearings!!

I looked at a friends belt setup on Monday and they seem a lot looser than mine at the moment - deflecting about a quarter inch.

How do you check that you have/nt ocked the fan pulley to the alt pulley?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Scamper
Instructor

Ok, so i have had another go at this tonight.

Looking at the new belt it says 10 x 775, the original belt states 9.5 x 776.

Does the width make a big difference as to why I cant get the belt tensioned right without it smoking and getting the pulley hot!

Getting a little frustrated with this job now as this is supposed to be the easy part....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

To check to see if you have locked them together simply grab hold of one of them and spin the other, if the other seems attached to it then it probably is. Like I said, I did this on mine and cooked the pulley so much I went through 3 belts and now need a new bearing, DOH!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
To check to see if you have locked them together simply grab hold of one of them and spin the other, if the other seems attached to it then it probably is. Like I said, I did this on mine and cooked the pulley so much I went through 3 belts and now need a new bearing, DOH!!!
Thanks Strega - you were spot on! I had locked the two pulleys together on refitting, so i put a half pulley and a shim between the two and got the tension set up correct first time!! Got it revved upto about 6k (when warm) and theres no smoke from the belt and the pulleys are cool to the touch - so everything is back together again!!!

Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Pulley Shims