Sponsored by:

Is my front bumper repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my front bumper repairable?

I just brought home my "new" '94 C2. Everything is pristine on the car EXCEPT the front bumper. I tried to take photos of the problem, but it doesn't show in the pics.

My problem is this-there are cracks running crazy all along the top of the front bumper! They appear under the paint and you can feel them with your fingers. Now from 5 feet away, you cannot really see them, only up close. But I know they are there, so it drives me insane Now is this repairable by a good body shop? Or am I screwed and need to get a new bumper?

TIA to anyone who can shed some light for me!!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

a good shop should be able to repair minor cracks in the bumper skin - as well as match the color/tint. Get recommendations from other P-Car owners in your area, and even the local dealer......
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM
skittlz74
Advanced

Originally Posted by mitch9000
a good shop should be able to repair minor cracks in the bumper skin - as well as match the color/tint. Get recommendations from other P-Car owners in your area, and even the local dealer......
I don't know any other P-car owners here in Columbus! Also the closest dealer is ATL.
QUestion-what if the cracks are all the way through the skin? I am just trying to picture how the could repair them! Also trying to avoid buying a new one
Thanks!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I have heard is that for my 92 the bumpers are not repairable if any paint needs to be removed as you will likely scratch through the barrrier coating on the substrate. Apparently the chemicals in paint attack the actual bumper cover material. Both times when cars have gently bumped my car, basically leaving only a small mark on the bumpers, which otherwise could have been buffed out, the bumpers were replaced.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The bumpers are made from thermoplastic olefein http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThermoPlastic_Olefin)
Repainting the bumper takes a different painting schedule than the rest of the steel body as mentioned in the WiKi reference. The car bumped/ or got bumped softly in the past and flexed the plastic and opened up stress cracks in the paint. This plastic if pushed in can be heated and pushed out if it's a deep dent. My feeling is as these cars age, the paint layer gets more inflexible and when the bumper receives a minor blow it will show a stress crack, were years ago the paint would flex with the substrate.

Got to an auto body shop, they'll know about painting plastic parts. From what I've heard, painting a bumper will run you no less that $400.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same cracks. Steve, I'm surprised that you had to replace your bumpers, wouldn't that mean any time a 964 had a paint job involving the front/rear bumper that they would have to be replaced?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

You have reaffirmed what I was told by another guy today-that it probably isn't the bumper that is cracked, but the paint! That would be a relief I will take it by the shop tomorrow and get them to tell me their thoughts and report back! Thanks for the replies all!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

"Distressed" furnature is all the rage is fashionable circles. Perhaps we can start a fad, and recognize that a few battle scars make a 964 even more desirable. I say if you can't see it from 5 feet away, it is not yet time to make a repair.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Ruairidh, only if there was a mark the scratched the surface. A repaint over good paint would be okay, but that would be considered a rework whereas once the substrate barrier is scratched, that would be a repair and repair is not possible.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Originally Posted by skittlz74
You have reaffirmed what I was told by another guy today-that it probably isn't the bumper that is cracked, but the paint! That would be a relief I will take it by the shop tomorrow and get them to tell me their thoughts and report back! Thanks for the replies all!!!

Not a big deal. Even if there are cracks in the plastic itself, there are fillers that you can buy to patch up the cracks. Becareful, you must control yourself. Three months ago, I had a few of those cracks in the paint of my front and rear bumper covers. In the process of fixing the the cracks, I ended up repainting my cab from white to black :-). It was a PIA to strip the paint from plastic covers as they were previously shot with adhesion promotors. I had to sand down the covers to plastic and reshoot the paint. yes, I did used adhesion promotors and flex agent in the primer and clear. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

Originally Posted by flatsixcrazy
Not a big deal. Even if there are cracks in the plastic itself, there are fillers that you can buy to patch up the cracks. Becareful, you must control yourself. Three months ago, I had a few of those cracks in the paint of my front and rear bumper covers. In the process of fixing the the cracks, I ended up repainting my cab from white to black :-). It was a PIA to strip the paint from plastic covers as they were previously shot with adhesion promotors. I had to sand down the covers to plastic and reshoot the paint. yes, I did used adhesion promotors and flex agent in the primer and clear. Good luck.

Again, very good stuff to know! I had actually thought about trying myself, but I don't really enjoy body work! Rather get a great result from someone who knows what they are doing! There is a great shop here in town that specializes in nothing but high-end foreign makes.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I say if you can't see it from 5 feet away, it is not yet time to make a repair.

That is what I'm trying to convince myself of! Then I see the cracks and want to fix them!!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:21 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ruairidh
That is what I'm trying to convince myself of! Then I see the cracks and want to fix them!!
EXACTLY!!! Once I know they are there, it is impossible for me to see much else! I admit my OCD is ridiculous
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

It's not OCD - it's a Porsche!

Quick Reply: Is my front bumper repairable?