Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How diffcult is it to disable front drive on C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:04 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry I misunderstood the ?

Never heard of it but
I suppose it could be done the front diff and torque tube are the same as the 964. A G64/20 or 21 and viscous coupler would be needed. The passive 993AWD doesn't tie into the electronics, except for the ABS/ABD just like the 2WD version does.
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:42 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Do guys track C4s? What does a C4 track like?
Old 09-21-2007 | 03:06 AM
kgorman
Drifting

I track a C4, So does Garrett, and I think so did Joey B way back when. They are fantastic cars on the track. As fast as a C2? Well, at my level (advanced DE and TT guy, no racing per-se), I generally keep up with C2's, RSA's, 996's, Cayman's w/o much problems. You drive a bit different in a C4 than a C2, and if you can capitalize on that, then you can find places to be faster. For instance, getting the jump off slow technical corners, or late braking into a corner knowing you can put full power down w/o worrying about power-on oversteer. Things like that. I have, however, lightened mine by about 300lbs so that makes a huge difference.

In terms of setup, there is a basic article called 'wringing out the C4' that can get anyone started with the needed setup stuff to get your C4 prepped for the track in terms of handling. I just changed up to new wider front rubber (245's) and now I really don't have any push/understeer in the car anymore. The car is super neutral, I have had many compliments on how it handles.

Don't fear the C4.
Old 09-21-2007 | 05:14 AM
964rh
Pro

I trcak my C4 as well, as kgorman says, you can power out of the tighter corners and the tc keeps the wheels from spinning.
I think he's hit the nail on the head by lightening the car up, I've lost about 200kg from mine and although I've yet to try on track it feels great on the road.
I run 225's up front and 245 at the rear, a decent geo setup helps no end as well.

I track a C4 cause it's the only 911 I've got. I didn't buy it to track but got bitten by the bug on the first outing. I bought the car on condition, wasn't bothered whether it was a C4 or C2 so I'm making the most of the car I bought.
Of course I may be blowing smoke up my own backside, but it held it's own on many a trackday and I'd only swap it for a RS or cup car (never going to happen btw )
Rob
Old 09-21-2007 | 09:42 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I've never had my C4S on the track so I've no exerience with 4wd's.

Would you say the C4 to C2 diference on track is subtle or would my wife (never been on a track or driven a P car before) immediately tell the difference. This is in the dry we're talking.
Old 09-21-2007 | 11:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter
I've never had my C4S on the track so I've no exerience with 4wd's.

Would you say the C4 to C2 diference on track is subtle or would my wife (never been on a track or driven a P car before) immediately tell the difference. This is in the dry we're talking.
If the tires never slip, the only difference between a C2 and a C4 is that a C4 is heavier and it has a slightly less rear weight bias - that's it! So if your wife drives in a way that the tires never break free, she will likely notice no difference. I raced a 65 911 for 9 years or so which is the worst of the rear-biased 911's - the C4 is completely different for me.

The beauty of a C4 is when you lose traction under acceleration - yes, in the wet this issue is exacerbated, but when you drive fast enough and the car is sliding through corners, or the car is off-line in a dirty part of the track which happens all the time in wheel-to-wheel racing, or the car is pinched in a corner due to competitors and ends up with a couple tires in the dirt (which unfortunately happens sometimes sneaking in for a pass - see below!) then the C4's capabilities show through. The basic concept is that a tire has only so much traction it can maintain before slipping; a C2 puts all of its power to two rear wheels (one with no LSD in most cases of low traction), a C4 can distribute it to four; if in a corner, tires are required to use most traction for the lateral forces - if you add a strong longitudinal force vector (jam on the gas), the available traction is not there in a C2 which equals throttle oversteer. A C4 won't throttle oversteer since it will share its power across all the wheels so you can just hammer the gas and go - no rear end breaks free. Remember, if the tires don't slip, then there's little difference: you need to drive fast enough!!!
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2007 | 11:53 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I track mine too. I don't have the experience, or the level of preperation that kgorman, robh or garrett so, I really enjoy it. Does take a little different style to get the most out of it, but it is a lot of fun, and I haven't had any problems with it. Still playing around with sway bars and alingment setting to get it as neutral as possible. I also went looking for a good condition car, didn't matter much if it was a C4 or a C2. I aslo daily drive mine, and it is a blast in the snow with snow tires on it.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I track my C4 as well. I'm still a beginner, but at my last track event my instructor was telling me how easy it was for me to get on the gas much quicker out of the turns and that I would've never been able to do that in a RWD car. And it did make a difference in my run group - I was able to catch up to cars ahead of me in the turns or lose cars behind me through the turns. To be really competitive you need to make the car lighter, but I'm not at a point to do that just yet. All in all I love my C4.

Here's a link to the "Wringing Out The Carrera" article mentioned earlier: http://www.porsche964.co.uk/rev_rep/excellence.htm
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that- I'll put C4's back on my list.
What about the pre-993 cranky 4wd system( you can see I only know very little about it) - any issues exacerbated by the track?

BTW-She drives a Subaru wagon to school and the supermarket. Won't even drive on the major hwys in Atlanta!
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't call the AWD system "cranky." It is a lot more complicated than on the 993, but that was when the business model at Porsche was "build me the best car and I'll figure out the price later." Now it's "Here's $80,000, build me a car." The AWD system in the 964 is similar to the 959. It is strong and lasts a lifetime. I've heard very few complaints about malfunctioning components. Even the high-ticket items like accelometers and PDAS ECU can be repaired or found on the cheap at junk yards if you ever need to replace them.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:16 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:42 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

http://theracesite.com/index.cfm?tem...mag_id=4814_12

http://www.audistory.24max.de/old1/etransam.htm

http://www.eurospecsport.com/ta4.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi
"In 1980 Audi released the Quattro, an all wheel drive turbocharged car that went on to win rallies and races worldwide. It is considered one of the most significant rally cars of all time because it was one of the first to take advantage of the then-recently changed rules which allowed the use of all-wheel-drive in competition racing."
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:52 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

All our cars are all-wheel drive except for the C2- which is only car I currently track, so I'm a believer, just wasn't sure about tracking a modest hp C4. Now I am however thanks to the input here.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:58 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter
Thanks for that- I'll put C4's back on my list.
What about the pre-993 cranky 4wd system( you can see I only know very little about it) - any issues exacerbated by the track?
In any car, if it's not well cared for, things will be exacerbated when you drive it hard. Compared to other cars and contrary to the PCA publication mentioned earlier, there are really no significant wear points on a C4 versus a C2 that should sway your decision - these are old cars and lots of things wear out so it's a wash. Regardless, a 964 is a great platform for the track because they are so reliable. I raced a narrow bodied C4 for almost 3 years and have had my widebody for about a year - I felt bad selling the narrow bodied car because I won my class at California Speedway three times (got 2nd or so at all other events)! I can't wait to try out the wide one at that track... so far it's 3 seconds a lap faster than the narrow car at willow springs and I know there's more to go!
Old 09-21-2007 | 01:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Speaking of Audi's Quattro system, they were unbeatable on the track by RWD cars and FIA had to ban them by using the term "unfair advantage."

Quick Reply: How diffcult is it to disable front drive on C4?