Sponsored by:

First DE any advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First DE any advise

Thinking about my first de any advise. Taking the newly aquired c4, how hard on the car are these events, other than brakes and tires??
Old 09-05-2007, 03:00 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Every Porsche is a Race Car"
A quote that becons to be experienced. Somehow when you are on track, you can feel the connection to all Porsches young and old. And the car feels fully in it's element. For me it was like a bell going off: "oh, that's what they mean!"

Personally, I go onto Youtube and find videos of cars (p-cars preferrably) going around the track where I am going to do the DE event.
Don't feel you have to push the car the first time. Get to know how your car behaves in this new setting. And most imortantly, have fun (repeat 5x) and don't feel you have to get it all.

I've heard a lot of Porsche owners & mechanics say the car has less engine problems when it's run at high RPM's - "excersized" as it was designed to do.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Thinking about my first de any advise. Taking the newly aquired c4, how hard on the car are these events, other than brakes and tires??
Agreed on the study ahead of time, but be wary that the lines you'll see on You-tube may not be the same lines you learn with your instructor. Watch with a track map in hand and try to figure out where you are on the track while watching the video.

Between sessions, try to visualize running the track in your mind.

Take the parade/lunch laps if they have them. Good opportunity to practice your line at a slow speed and get to know the track better. You'll be amazed what things you notice that you didn't notice during your track sessions.

Most importantly,
Arrive with an open mind and the attitude that you know nothing and are there to learn (even if you do know something). Listen to your instructor and do what he tells you.

Have loads of fun.

Steve
Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 PM
boze_man
Pro

lot of good info/advice in the racing forum below...do a quick search...i have posted a first DE thread there as well as others...good luck and have fun
Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

This link provides some useful info: http://www.pcapotomac.org/pca/html/d...ersEdFAQ.shtml

Have fun!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:46 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I've only been to a few DEs. The things that's helped me the most was "slow in, fast out". I have become much smother once I learned to slow enough going into the corner.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Great article on the Lonestar region website here written by Jim Heimer as a first time DE'er. And the same person wrote this article on his preparations before the event. Some of it is specific to that region, but much of it is universal. Also, an instructor named Bob Hieronymus from Texas wrote a great article for first timers from the instructor's perspective, but the link I had to it isn't working now. I'll poke around some more and see if I can find it. Bob is a great instructor (he was my first instructor).

I don't really agree with the advice of watching track video in advance if you've never DE'ed before. If you were a veteran and were just trying out a new track, I'd agree. But if you've never DE'ed before, I don't think watching video in advance to try to learn the track is helpful because you won't have any context or basic concepts to apply to what you are seeing. Now, after you've driven the track the first day, then by all means, watch some video. I do agree with studying the track map religiously between sessions. Get to know the corners and even their numbers. Also, familiarize yourself with the flags and what they mean in advance. That's at least one thing that is easy text book learning.

Most importantly, relax and have fun.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:11 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Every time I get off the track, I find the car feels better then when I take it out after a week of rest in the garage. These cars were meant for the track.

All you need are tires and brakes. Good brake fluid and good oil are a must. Check your tires and brakes after every event and bleed them if you feel the need. Change the oil after 3 or 4 events. That's how I did my season and everything ran perfectly.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by swmic
I've only been to a few DEs. The things that's helped me the most was "slow in, fast out". I have become much smother once I learned to slow enough going into the corner.
Exactly. Eventually, you'll learn to unlearn that so you're fast in, fast out.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
ebenke
Intermediate

Use track brake pads, and racing brake fluid, I cooked mine first day out at Sebring.

Otherwise, enjoy it, listen to your instrcutor, he will push you, if your both comfortable with your progress. Awsome, safe environment to improve your driving skills.

Your car will love it too.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Make sure you've changed your brake fluid. Some of these older cars were ignored (don't ask) which could cost you. Relax and enjoy...most of the instructors are excellent so that you'll learn a lot and have fun. If you don't synch with your instructor, check in with the event organizer...they will get you one that works with your style.

Quick Reply: First DE any advise