Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Starting - clutch in, or out?
Start w/ clutch and gearbox in neurtral
63.83%
Start w/ clutch and gearbox in gear
6.38%
Start w/out clutch
29.79%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Starting - clutch in, or out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 AM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch in - because i am really old and thats how you always did it to save battery life and reduce the risk of a tired battery catching you out on a cold morning - not so necessary now with blobal warming etc
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
2) pushing the clutch in seems like a good way to decrease the odds of accidentally putting the 911 through the back wall of the garage if I ever have a brain fart and leave it in gear.
...or if my mechanic ever have a brain fart and leave it in gear after servicing the car...

Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
polar964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just in the 964, have always had the clutch pedal pressed and out of gear ......... and of course hand brake on ......... well just in case something makes you jump and you accidentally put it in gear and slip off the clutch pedal.
Seriously though, i as some have also said pressing the clutch appears to relieve the engine turning over. Then there is the other argument that it's another press on the the thrust plate, thus accelerating wear the wear rate.

It always used to be good practice to drop down through the gears to have the engine assist you in breaking, (say when approaching a junction or at traffic lights) driving instructors now advise just breaking as it is less wear on the clutch !!!

Paul
93 C2 Coupe Polar Silver
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polar964
It always used to be good practice to drop down through the gears to have the engine assist you in breaking, (say when approaching a junction or at traffic lights) driving instructors now advise just breaking as it is less wear on the clutch !!!

Paul
93 C2 Coupe Polar Silver
Benefits of regenerative braking aside, I remember a quote many years ago from a noted NASCAR crew chief in an automotive Q&A column, when asked that question: "Use the brakes, brake parts are a lot cheaper than engine parts." He obviously didn't own a Porsche. But that wisdom has always stuck with me.

Of course, this is another thread all its own...

Quick Reply: Starting - clutch in, or out?