Sponsored by:

Which polish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which polish?

Thinking about leaving Autoglym as my preffered polish. Thinking about Raceglaze clay and wax system, anyone used this product range?
Is a clay and wax the best way to get the shine up? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried Zaino for the first time this month. On my (white) 964 I wasn't so impressed. But on the blue Supra I really am - it's been 3 or 4 weeks since I did it, and it still looks like it's just been done.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a 'Zaino Zealot'. I've been using it for about 5 years. Great stuff.
I think there are others that are probably as good: P21S, Klasse, etc.
I've heard that Zaino gives a "candied" look, while the others go for a "wet" look. I would agree with that. It's all in what you prefer. But they do all require the same type of prep work (clay bar, swirl remover) to produce a first-rate result.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's also worth mentioning Zymol. I've never got on with it - but Kevin's car looked incredibly shiney at the last SE meet.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM
polar964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 964russ,
I 've been converted to Zymol.
I've used Autoglym in the past and found that it it just doesn't last. Went to the motorshow at the NEC in Birmingham last year. Mentioned this to the reps on the Autoglym stand and didn't get an explanation. When i mentioned that i could buy their polish at home cheaper than their supposed promotional price, they said that cheaper pricing is what devalued their product. They threw me a couple of shampoo sachets ! ...... That was the last time i bought Autoglym!
At the end of the day companies can promot all they like about their product being the best .... If it is easy to apply then as far as i'm concerned it's easy to come off !!! a good product doesn't need advertising! results are what count. Everyone will have differing opinions about what is the best product and to some degree you get what you pay for.

Paul

93 C2 Polar Silver
Old 08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
donoman
Racer

There is a difference between polish and sealant.

I am guessing you are asking which sealant? I use Klasse Sealant Glaze.

Polishes actually "shine" up the surface by abrasion. Sealants are more like a coating (e.g. wax).

Donovan
Old 09-01-2007, 04:50 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for teh kind words Dave, I've been using Zymol for about 4 years or more.....Errrrr the same tub of titanium which is just on it's last legs .

Kevin.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964russ
Thinking about leaving Autoglym as my preffered polish. Thinking about Raceglaze clay and wax system, anyone used this product range?
Is a clay and wax the best way to get the shine up? Thanks.

Race glaze is an OK product, I used it a few times in the past but was never blown away by them.

As others have noted "prep" is your key to a great looking paint. Zaino gives a nice look and great protection but it alone won't do much for paint that is not properly prepped. This prep process usually follows these steps.

1) wash

2) clay (or other contaminate removal. This is done so the sealants bond properly)

3) polish (This is best done by machine as your hand cannot generate enough heat and friction to, literally, abrade away a micro thin layer of paint. Just because a polish says it has "abrasives" in it does not mean that it will remove scratches by hand.)

4) glaze (This step is pretty much useless and more of a pain than a help, so I never recommend it. I say this because in order for a sealant to bond properly the paint needs to be really clean. A glaze usually leaves oils behind in the form of fillers and such which may hinder the wax/sealant from bonding and crosslinking properly.)

5) seal (This is accomplished with the wax and/or sealant of your choice. To get polymer protection with the carnauba wet look many people first apply the polymer, wait 15 to 24 hours and then apply a paste wax.)

Do you have a machine, like an orbital polisher (dual action polisher like a PC or Cyclo) ? One of these will be a great help in producing a nice finish.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

Quick Reply: Which polish?