Sponsored by:

Hood re-attachment

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood re-attachment

I removed my hood (front luggage compartment lid) to replace the drivers side hinge. After a lengthy wait for a $218 bare metal part , I now have the hinge painted and re-installed. I will re-attach the hood tonight when a buddy of mine stops by after work to help.

Question - Should I leave the struts installed in the hinges during the alignment process? Seems like it would be necessary to get it re-attached, but not sure if they will make the alignment process more difficult. Anybody have experience with either method?

Steve

Last edited by deep_uv; 08-28-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: To clarify that I'm speaking of the front of the car.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

If I hear you right, the struts are still attached to the hood? If so, I think you want it the other way around. Get it somewhat close, re-attach the wiring for the light. You wont get the alignment quite right the first time around. It definitely helps having two hands...I've done it by myself... but laid blankets all over to avoid scratching the car. Also, you will probably not get the front latch correct on first try.
tom
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by tgage
If I hear you right, the struts are still attached to the hood? If so, I think you want it the other way around. Get it somewhat close, re-attach the wiring for the light. You wont get the alignment quite right the first time around. It definitely helps having two hands...I've done it by myself... but laid blankets all over to avoid scratching the car. Also, you will probably not get the front latch correct on first try.
tom
Thanks Tom! Actually, I got it re-attached last night with the help of my buddy and finished up aligning it myself this morning. Yup extra hands, towels, blue painters tape all necessary. I just took the latch off until I had it lined up.

I found the answer to my original question by just "going for it". Seems like a stupid question now. The answer is, Yes, have the struts installed in the hinges before attaching the lid. It became very obvious once I thought about it.

What a PITA getting it aligned though. I still don't have it exactly perfect, but it's plenty good enough and actually better than before the hinge replacement. It was pretty much a total re-do with the new hinge. The prior one had been bent badly and re-bent into place by some hack in the car's past. It finally siezed and bent requiring replacement. So every aspect the alignment had to be addressed. Now the lid lifts several inches higher as it should which my head will appreciate!

Regards,

Steve

Quick Reply: Hood re-attachment