Sponsored by:

Secondary muffler mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 AM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary muffler mounting

I've got a problem with the secondary muffler mounting. The front end of the muffler is bolted to a bracket, which in turn is bolted to something. The two bolts which hold this bracket to the car have both sheared - the question is where do they bolt in to. It looks like they go through the engine heat shielding into the front side of the RH front cylinder or head.

The next problem is to get the bolt ends out, preferrably without dropping the engine. Because they sheared laterally rather than through torque, I'm hoping they're not too tight, so I can Dremel a slot in the end and use a screw driver. The lower one is easy to get to, the top one has an oil pipe in the way. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 AM
SimonM
Intermediate

Leave it and fit a G-pipe?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 AM
IanR
Racer

I've got a cup pipe anyway, so no secondary will be noisy. The workaround is to get a second hand primary and G-pipe. However, the secondary I have seems very effective (it's a Dansk one) - that and a cup pipe + cat noise tested at 101dB. Don't know if primary + G will be as quiet (car is mainly track use).
Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Scamper
Instructor

adding a G-pipe will be loud...very loud...probably too loud for most circuits.

fitted a G-pipe to a friends 964rs replica as he wanted a more throaty sound - he already had a cat bypass and primary replacement. its V.loud.

cant help with bracket - maybe you could cut the bolts off and weld the bracket in place?

Quick Reply: Secondary muffler mounting