964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Power Steering pump be bled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 04:21 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Default Can the Power Steering pump be bled?

While trying to change the spark plugs on my Turbo last week I inadvertently tried to remove the PS pump, as soon as I cracked off the bolt that holds it to the bracket on top of the engine I realised my mistake as oil started to seep out - I nipped all 4 bolts back up and proceeded to change the right hand bank of plugs from underneath instead (3.3 engine).

Power steering is now a lot harder and I'm not getting very much assistance (though I can feel it working)., I've also got a whirring and clunking from around the PS pump from time to time (but it's not constant and it's not connected to the movement of the steering) - I'm not driving the car in case this is a bearing in the PS pump running dry because of an air lock or something.

Most other cars I've worked on have benn self-bleeding, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the 964. I have plenty of fluid in the system (exactly half way between the max and min lines), so can I bleed it to get rid of the air lock? If so, how do I go about doing it?
Old 08-22-2007 | 04:34 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

just turn the steering wheel lock to lock back and forth a few times. That will "burp" the air out of it
Old 08-22-2007 | 04:37 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Thanks.. I did try shuffling the wheel back and forth, but I must admit I didn't go lock to lock. Will jack the front up tomorrow evening and see if that clears it... I can't think what else it can be!

Quick Reply: Can the Power Steering pump be bled?