Sponsored by:

Average cost to install Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average cost to install Bilsteins

I'm having HD Bilsteins installed shorthly with my OE springs. I like the present ride and handling so I opted not to change out springs. What cost should I expect for shocks, install and alignment. I'm still debating to attempt myself. I'm not too dangerous with a wrench in my hand.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you will save any labor costs by not changing the springs. Based on my experience, prices can range from $600 - $1200. My advise would be to tackle the install yourself with the help of this board and spend the money on a good alignment and possibly corner balance also.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I would think that the labor costs would be less with new H&R or Eibach springs since the shop would not have to disassemble your old suspension to reuse the sprngs.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did all the work my self. Just like printing money ! and all the fun of cracking the lower rear shock bolts free !
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pete000
Did all the work my self. Just like printing money ! and all the fun of cracking the lower rear shock bolts free !
+1

Seriously...do this yourself if you can. Its real easy and if you read through all the posts here (ie do your homework) and get all the parts ordered before you start you will be in good shape.

I got a quote from a shop here to install my shocks and springs if I brought them all the parts and they told me it would take them 8 - 10 hours to do the job @ $80/hour. Seriously...calculating the time I spent it took about 10 hours with out the proper tools a shop would have.(I had to spread it out over a few weekends but that was better than giving away my hard earned money).
Besides, it was a great way to get more intimate with my car
Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Agree - Do the job yourself. The savings will cover the cost of the springs and a good alignment / corner balance. It is pretty much a straight unbolt take out - bolt in job - Do YOUR HOMEWORK. I did the same thing when I changed over to Koni's and Cargraphic springs - it is an easy job except the rear lower suspension bolts - lot of torque - just use a large breaker bar - Plus it will give you a chance to get up close and personal with your car -
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Another in support of doing it yourself. All the info you need is on this list. As for tools, the MUST have is a 10mm 1/2" drive impact socket (not a std sears 10mm, you will break it), a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 30" length of pipe that will fit over the breaker bar. The rest of the tools are standard, including a torque wrench that will got to 150 ft-lbs.
Optional but handy are a compressor/air impact tools and a big teenager to break the lower rear shock bolts.

As for not doing the springs, I would think twice as it is no extra work. If you like the handling now you will love it with performance springs. As for ride it will be a little firmer with H&R green, and you can set the ride height to your preference with the HDs.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

One item that will be important is a spring compression rig that will allow you to compress the springs to put them on the shocks or take your old springs off if you elect to reuse them. Best route is to buy the shocks with the springs mounted - then is is an easy bolt in. You can usually borrow a spring compressor from someone I am sure - a lot of shops in my area will loan you one to change out shocks - Anyway, they are a nice tool to have around if you change shocks and springs often - or play with set ups.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Newbium
Intermediate

I'm on the DIY bandwagon, as well. I just changed over to the Bilstein/H&R setup, and it was pretty easy. Plus I only smashed one finger;-)
Old 08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
One item that will be important is a spring compression rig that will allow you to compress the springs to put them on the shocks or take your old springs off if you elect to reuse them. Best route is to buy the shocks with the springs mounted - then is is an easy bolt in. You can usually borrow a spring compressor from someone I am sure - a lot of shops in my area will loan you one to change out shocks - Anyway, they are a nice tool to have around if you change shocks and springs often - or play with set ups.
I just turned the spring pearches all the way down. No spring compressor required.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

you can get a loaner spring compressor from most Advanced Auto, AutoZone, or Napa stores. For loaner tools they generally charge your credit card for the price of the tool then refund the full price when you return it. I have a NAPA ball joint tool in my garage right now for use on my Ford.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Another in support of doing it yourself. The only tool that really comes in handy is the open sided 22 m socket for the front upper bolts. Took all of 5-6 hours, but I took my time, and did some cleaning. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Average cost to install Bilsteins