Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Commercial says Porscha
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
... In Germany it was more Porsch-uh and in Switzerland I heard a lot of Porsch-E. So as long as it is not Porsch you should be OK.
Exactly. We could get into a discussion of High German and Low German and Alsatian German and on and on. My mechanic (German/French) pronounces it with the light "e" at the end. His wife, who is English, pronounces it without. They seem to manage. It's really not that important. Honest.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DarrylH
It's really not that important. Honest.
I see this post of more of a "fun" topic- I didn't get the impression that people were serious or would get offended (I hope not as it's really kind of amusing )

so no worries here
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

How about, "Porsh . . . ahhhh."
Old 08-21-2007, 04:26 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andrew911
I see this post of more of a "fun" topic- I didn't get the impression that people were serious or would get offended (I hope not as it's really kind of amusing )

so no worries here
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-964
I know this has been discussed in the past
Not that I remember...yes, it's the first time this month.

FROM WIKIPEDIA
Pronunciation of "Porsche"

"Porsche", a proper name, is originally pronounced as PORSH-uh (IPA /ˈpɔɹʃə/) (correct pronunciation (help·info)), which is how members of the Porsche family pronounce their name.

Some tend to vocalize the e, which results in Por-SCHA (/pɔɹˈʃʌ/). Others, particularly in Canada and the United States, mistakenly treat the e as silent, a pronunciation rule that applies in English and French but not in German, producing the monosyllabic, porsh (/pɔɹʃ/).

From about.com
How Do You Say “Porsche”?

Pronouncing German Words in English
“Porsche” and “Neanderthal”
Pronouncing German Words in English 2
Porsche
What is the correct pronunciation of Porsche? While the “proper” way to pronounce some German terms in English may be debatable, this isn't one of them. Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-uh, not PORSH! Same for the car. You don't say NYKE for Nike, so don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! Porsche's U.S. TV commercials pronounce the name correctly and so should you.

Can you remember when the French automaker Renault still sold cars in North America? (If you're old enough, you may recall Renault's Le Car.) In the early days, Americans pronounced the French name ray-NALT. Just about the time that most of us had learned to say ray-NOH correctly, Renault pulled out of the U.S. market. Given enough time, Americans usually can learn to pronounce most foreign words correctly—if you don't include maitre d' or hors d'oeuvres. So I think there's still hope for Porsche, too.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Like Peugot?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zicoramone could not be more correct. At least as this is concerned with this pronunciation. We are talking about a family name not a word that is open to interpretation. A name, especially a family name deserves the respect of being pronounced correctly.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Like Peugot?
hehehe...like Peaujô

Originally Posted by 1990-964
Zicoramone could not be more correct. At least as this is concerned with this pronunciation. We are talking about a family name not a word that is open to interpretation. A name, especially a family name deserves the respect of being pronounced correctly.
Thanks. You are right we are talking about a name not a brand.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

No its a brand and lets just allow people to pronounce it however they want, eh? Seriously, these threads have to stop at some point. :P
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

so this is totally off topic, but as a tangent to Zic's comment above about Americans learning to pronounce things, I once heard a person honestly mispronounce hors d'oeuvres as "horse ovaries." So... does one serve peanut sauce with horse ovaries? And what wine does one pair with that?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
No its a brand and lets just allow people to pronounce it however they want, eh? Seriously, these threads have to stop at some point. :P
...I don't have anything against that. I hate this topic. I pronounce it Porsche. Can you hear it? hehehe.

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
so this is totally off topic, but as a tangent to Zic's comment above about Americans learning to pronounce things, I once heard a person honestly mispronounce hors d'oeuvres as "horse ovaries." So... does one serve peanut sauce with horse ovaries? And what wine does one pair with that?
Now that is real funny
Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
1990-964
Pro

NO Howard!!,

We are talking about a family name that just so happens to also be the name given to the brand. This is about respect. It would make no real difference if we were talking about a fictitious brand name but this is not the case. I would not hesitate to properly pronounce your family name any way that you say is correct not what anyone else says is correct. Oh and if you don't like the thread you can always choose not to chime in!

Darren
Old 08-23-2007, 02:45 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I fianlly leaned how to say Jaguar by listening to the commercials

not jagwar, but jag u ar

not poorsh but portia
Old 08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
carnumber6
Instructor