Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAKE BLEED - That was easy!! Did I do something wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First half pint-on the floor. Also needed a new pair of underwear, could not imagine what I had screwed up.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Guys, if you switch to the extractor, I think no more spillin, and no need to pinch.. Am I wrong or am I strong??
Old 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct... but you can't bleed the clutch slave cylinder with the extractor. That's the rub.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

why not???????
Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

-cause we said so....

Actually.. I don't see the harm in trying.. give it a shot. Do be aware that the nipple on the slave is a lot smaller.. so have the right fitting before you bother to climb under there. The brake caliper nipples use an 11 MM wrench and the clutch slave uses a 7, so you may want to extrapolate the difference in the hose fitting from there...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
f@tboy
Advanced

+1 here!! Why didn't I read this first?? I knew something was wrong when I'd run 500ml fluid into the system and only had 100ml in the catheter bag.

I'm sure I'll remember to clamp the overflow next time.

It doesn't really count as a fluid change if the new stuff is in the bottom of the lugagge compartment and dripping down behind the dashboard does it!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
Could we have a show of hands of those among us who haven't done this?
One here. I have let air into the system before, and have Exxoned the garage floor with motor oil, but never an incident with brake fluid.

I don't pump the brake pedal, and I don't own a pressure bleeder. Simply slip a snug-fitting section of tubing over the bleeder nipple, open the valve, and let gravity do all the work. Set a timer for about 10 minutes - the time it takes for the reservoir to get half empty. Watch for the color change in the fluid coming through the tubing. Button up, and move to the next valve. Method works great for the clutch too.

Downside is it takes a couple of hours to get the four wheels and the clutch completely bled. That is no problem because I adjust valves at the same time. It takes about 10 minutes to get a valve adjusted just right, and that is time to top up the fluid level or cycle to the next bleeder nipple.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
Could we have a show of hands of those among us who haven't done this?
I have not made that mistake. However, I am guilty of the bonehead mistake of letting the fluid level in the reservoir get too low while bleeding the clutch and the clutch line got air in it. Doh!

I'm also a firm believer in the Motive bleeder. I had a vacuum extractor and threw it away (literally) after I used the Motive bleer the first time. No comparison in effort and effectiveness. The Motive bleeder rocks.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Southampton76
Racer

Done it, twice! the overflow pipe seems to dump the fluid out under the wing. I also find that even blocking the overflow still dumps fluid out after you disconnect it, maybe I need to block it off more tightly. :-(
Old 02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

since this thread is active again I'll fess up to today's dumb donkey move... I went for a spin to get the car warm before changing the tranny juice. I smelled fuel.. uh oh... turned around and came home. I turned the car off in the drive and could see a little liquid on the ground right behind the driver's side (left) front wheel. I sniffed it and it was gas. Oh sugar! I popped the luggage compartment lid and ripped the carpet back and found... nothing. Odd. So I opened the gas fill lid and discovered that when I filled with gas on Saturday I had put the cap on crooked and it allowed gas to splash into the overflow and that's what was running down. How basic is that? Just have to put the dang fuel cap on straight. Geeesh. I flushed it with alcohol so it would not stink all day.

But the happy ending is that I changed my transmission fluid without a hitch. And no gas leaks.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
f@tboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Southampton76
Done it, twice! the overflow pipe seems to dump the fluid out under the wing. I also find that even blocking the overflow still dumps fluid out after you disconnect it, maybe I need to block it off more tightly. :-(
I wish mine dumped under the wing. It dumped behind the fusebox. Half of the fluid ended up under the fuel tank, and the rest in the right-side footwell.

Quick Reply: BRAKE BLEED - That was easy!! Did I do something wrong.