Sponsored by:

CV Joint Removal Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Removal Challenge

This weekend I set out to change both of my inner CV boots as both were cracked. I was able to remove the right inner CV using the gear puller method described by Jason in the technical howto:

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911/250820-addendum-to-cv-joint-disassembly-tips-please.html

Of particular value to me was the reassembly tips. Yeah, I put it together wrong the first time.

On the left side, however, I am having a heck of a time pulling the CV joint off of the half shaft. I tightened the gear puller so tight that the threaded shaft was bowing a little. I then used the old hammer trick and beat upon the end of the puller's bolt head. Nothing. Since only my inner boots needed replacing, I left the outer CV hooked up and am working under the car. I only have two options that I can think of:

1) Blue wrench (AKA torch)
2) Remove the axle nut, pull the whole shaft and both CVs, remove the outer CV and install the inner boot without removing the inner CV from the shaft.

If I do #1 I will probably pull the whole shaft anyhow. I hate the idea of being under the car with an open flame.

Has anyone done #2? I am not 100% sure that I can replace the inner boot by coming at it from the outer side. But looking at all the pictures, I don't see why not.

Either way I will have to battle the axle nut. I feel better about applying fire to the axle nut, however, as I don't have to be under the car with the heat.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
remove the outer CV and install the inner boot without removing the inner CV from the shaft.
The outer CV joint is friction welded to the drive shaft so I would concentrate on trying to remove the inner joint.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
1) Blue wrench (AKA torch)
2) Remove the axle nut, pull the whole shaft and both CVs, remove the outer CV and install the inner boot without removing the inner CV from the shaft.
3) 8lb. sledge hammer
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

That's exactly what I was afraid of

It looks like I'll be pulling the whole shaft and getting it up in a vice where I can get proper implements of destruction applied to it. I suspect that the combination of gear puller, cheater bar, blue wrench, and my personal charm will be more than the shaft can withstand. I predict victory will be mine within two hours of the initial attack.

Thanks Jason, that's twice you've helped me out with my CVs. You're a real asset to the 964 community.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Right-O Chris! I should have added that to my list. I keep the 8# mini sledge right next to my size 10 persuader!

As a friend of mine once said, "Knowledge is half the battle. The other half is extreme violence."

I really do need to drop the pseudo military references. I'm a nice suburban guy with a job in corporate America and a baby on the way. Geeesh.

Quick Reply: CV Joint Removal Challenge