Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Strange alarm sound and car gone dead!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Strange alarm sound and car gone dead!

1. Today, my car battery (its new) ran flat after just 4 days of standing. The breakdown guy got it working and confirmed there is a big drain around 1.25(V?). It doesn't change whether the alarm is on or off.

2. Something else I noticed lately is that when I have my headlights on, when I touch the brake or indicate for a split second my light flickers.

3. Today was something else: after the car got running again, I took it for a long drive to recharge the battery. It ran well and got home. When I parked up and got out, everything was dead (eg. no door lights, power window switch inoperative, etc.). I pressed my alarm key and nothing. I then heard a really quiet alarm sound coming from the bonnet area. I opened bonnet, still everything dead (bonnet light didn't come on). I wiggled the big battery wire and alarm stopped, and lights back on.

Closed bonnet, locked up and exactly same thing happened! Three or four times!

Finally, I got the car locked up and alarm set, but am very worried there could be a dangerous fault, so will arrange for it to be transported to my mechanic tomorrow.

Anyone got any ideas? And what the hell is that small alarm sound - is it a Porsche thing?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

To test what is draining power, put a volt meter on the battery and pull the fuses one by one while watching the meter. I had a similar problem and it was the heater motor. 5 min job.

It also sounds like your battery earth lead is either loose or knackered. I think they recommend replacing it with the 993 part. I *think* a test is to take the ecu relay out to stop it starting when you crank it, then crank the car over while measuring the voltage through the earth lead. It should not get hot (be careful!) and not exceed a certain voltage (which i sadly can't remember for sure. 1v?)

Is the sound coming from the alarm bell/ringer itself - if the battery is dead, its not gonna be loud.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, thanks for the ideas.
No the wire is not hot. The sound happened after the drive, when the battery is fully charged. The alarm sound is VERY quiet, not like the normal activation sound or alarm going off.

You may be right, I need some heater work and also the car was booked in next week for radio check.

AND I wonder if all this rain has done something, the car has been on the drive all week....
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Greg says, check the earth lead. Mine was corroded around the fixing point to the car and it caused my battery to drain and all my electrics to go funny. I replaced mine but I could easily have wire brushed it clean for it to last a while longer.

Quick Reply: HELP! Strange alarm sound and car gone dead!