Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoK Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Used supercharger kits seem to come up on EBAY about every 6 months. There was one on there this spring that didnt sell. It was a kit that TPC had removed from a car. You could call TPC to see if they ever sold it. It might still be on the shelf.

I have to remember to do a small order from Pelican this week. Then it will just be a waiting game for the rest of the parts to arrive.

Kirk
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it were me, I would also ask them why the kit was removed ... might give you some interesting insight as to whether you can live with it, or if the kit has some fatal flaw.

...Gregg
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The kit is gone. I just received an email from them on it. (I should have bought it when I had the chance.). FYI... If I remember correctly, it came off, due to the customer wanting to put his car back to stock.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Well the order from Sunset still hasnt arrived. Since it has the piston wrist pin clips in it, nothing has gotten done on this project. (Also we brought home a shiney new baby boy last week so even if the parts were here it would be hard for me to get much done)

Hopefully over xmas I will get the motor back together.

Kirk
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the early Christmas present. Sure to bring joy (and grief) for years to come.

Hope the mother and baby are doing well.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Kirk,

You have a PM.. oh, and congratulations on your other new toy!

Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Kirk!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Sunset sent me an email on friday, and the last piece they were waiting for from Germany has arrived. Yay.
So looks like maybe I can start making this thread a little more interesting over xmas.

Kirk
Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hello Kirk

congratulations on your new baby!!! lokking forward to you getting your car back together. Happy holidays
Old 12-02-2007, 05:10 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!
Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Well it has been a busy 2 months with work, and I have been on the road almost constantly. So this project has been neglected pretty badly.

On the weekend I started getting things in order to start the reassembly process.

I cleaned up the cylinders and set them aside on the bench sealed up in plastic. I used a little green scotchbrite pad to remove the small amount of carbon at the tops of the cylinders and then reoiled the sleeves ready for the pistons.

This weekend when I am home I hope to clean up the pistons, heads and block so they are ready to go. (Only minor cleanup is necessary since the engine only saw 1200km from the rebuild. Mostly just a matter of removing odd bits of threebond from the mating surfaces)

Should I reuse the old pistons rings or install new ones?
I have a spare set of new ones so I guess I will go that route. Such a shame considering how little the old ones got used.

In my spare time I have been worrying about alot of the little details about how I am going to make this work.
1. I assume the rear blower is not going to go back in because there is no room for it, so I have to do something about that problem.
2. I am not sure if the cruise control gets axed or not.
3. I still havent purchased anything to monitor boost/AFR
4. I havent got any clear pictures of another SoK setup so I dont know which bits and pieces come off the old intake assembly. Such as the ISV, etc.
5. When you put the motor back in do you do it with the intercooler assembly on, or would it be better to try and put it on once the motor is in the car?
6. Should I go through the extra work of calculating the true compression ratio? Probably.
7. Should I have the pistons coated:

http://www.dicustomcoatings.com/piston.html

I'll take some pictures this weekend. And then as I get the motor back together I will start hounding people with questions.

Kirk
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

n my spare time I have been worrying about alot of the little details about how I am going to make this work.
1. I assume the rear blower is not going to go back in because there is no room for it, so I have to do something about that problem.
2. I am not sure if the cruise control gets axed or not.
3. I still havent purchased anything to monitor boost/AFR
4. I havent got any clear pictures of another SoK setup so I dont know which bits and pieces come off the old intake assembly. Such as the ISV, etc.
5. When you put the motor back in do you do it with the intercooler assembly on, or would it be better to try and put it on once the motor is in the car?
6. Should I go through the extra work of calculating the true compression ratio? Probably.
7. Should I have the pistons coated:
Kirk,
1) I lost my rear blower too & since we have early cars, the patch with resistors doesn't work. I have just been living w/o heat but since I don't drive the car that much & live in Texas it hasn't been that big a deal. Given your avatar, I think you need a better solution I bought a turbo fan assembly which is smaller & made to go under the stock intercooler. I haven't messed with it yet but I think it could be configured to work. You might look into that.

2) I was able to keep my cruise functional.

3) I just monitor boost now with a gauge in the center console pod. PO monitored EVERYTHING but once I got it dialed-in for the most part I cleaned things up some. You should be able to get everything set-up on the dyno & run with just a boost gauge I would think.

4) My car is still at the shop over an hour away or I could get you some pics. I should have it back early next month. I have a couple from the swap that might help some. Shoot me over your email address & I will send them to you: royalbcat@aim.com

5) I put my motor back in w/o the intercooler installed. In fact, I have to remove it to check the supercharger oil. It's (2) hose clamps & a bolt so no big deal. Your's should be configured about the same. Are you running the big intercooler? I can't remember.

6 & 7) Yes to both if you can.

Good luck with the install & glad to here's it's on the way
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Thanx Jay

I'll have to try and look into why the early cars dont work with resistors in place of the blower motor. Did the motors change, or did the CCUs change? Perhaps we just need a different resistance than the later cars. I never thought about the turbos having a different rear blower. Seems obvious now that I think about it. Do they mount in the same spot?

Good news on the cruise control. One less thing for me to worry about!

I am running the big intercooler. And on another note, I had better remember to put fresh oil in that supercharger.

Kirk
Old 02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Kirk,
My supercharger rebuild guy specs Redline 60wt. racing oil.

I think the turbo blower is located in the same location on the turbo. It's a smaller unit with a different style shroud.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Dropped of the pistons today at the powder coating shop. They are going to apply Thermal Barrier Coating to the domes and Dry film lubricant to the skirts.

They should be ready for pickup in a week.

The bad news is that I dissassembled the fan/alternator and when i did so, one of the wires broke off and the stud it connects to was spinning with the nut. So I'll have to pull the alternator apart to see whether I broke the internal connection or not. Sigh.

Kirk

Quick Reply: SoK Supercharger Install