Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Warning Light comes on - my 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:32 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possible that the circumference of the tires is too different?
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
possible that the circumference of the tires is too different?
Tires are well withing the limits, so I'll say no. Also, I have not changed tires.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 AM
PeterMcD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fluxdon,

I seem to be having the exact same issue - differential warning light comes on sporadically. Most times it will come on after 10 - 15 minutes (not at a specific speed either). Some times doesn't come on at all.

Drove 900 Kms Thursday - light came and went. A few days ago in the wet it never came on at all. Seems like a sensor issue perhaps - as performance and handling does not seem to be affected. It is unnerving tough.

Glad I found this post.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:15 AM
PeterMcD
Track Day

Ohh ... meant to say that she is a 1990 C4, with a new(ish) chip, lowered a bit, and 18" 45's up front, 35's in the rear. Wayyy more than 6% of originals I think.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

I had exactly the same issue which would occur at almost exactly the same point on a my commute to work. This was at a slight dip in the road??? It never happened during a spirited drive round the twisties. It was easily cleared by switching off the car and restarting.

I put up with it for about three years with no issue other than the light and the associated beep.

Last year I needed some new brake lines and after they were fitted the dash board looked like a Christmas tree with ABS and diff lights on from start up. We looked more closely at the issues and cleared them all eventually. Whilst doing so we also cleaned the accelerometers in the transmission tunnel. There was all sorts of crap in there causing a poor functionality and once cleaned up this totally eradicated the light. Nearly a year on there is no sign of this returning.

Have a look and clean it out at worst it takes a little while to do, at best that annoying light goes away. Good luck.

Thomas
Old 05-14-2014, 05:37 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
Dan,

This problem can so often be caused by high tension leakage through worn or corroded distributor caps and/or coils. Don't go spending money on misc. sensors or lots of labour time without checking the caps/rotors and coils first. I spend more than a year wasting money before I found the problem.

Regards

Dave
Originally Posted by Ghengis
I had exactly the same issue which would occur at almost exactly the same point on a my commute to work. This was at a slight dip in the road??? It never happened during a spirited drive round the twisties. It was easily cleared by switching off the car and restarting.

I put up with it for about three years with no issue other than the light and the associated beep.

Last year I needed some new brake lines and after they were fitted the dash board looked like a Christmas tree with ABS and diff lights on from start up. We looked more closely at the issues and cleared them all eventually. Whilst doing so we also cleaned the accelerometers in the transmission tunnel. There was all sorts of crap in there causing a poor functionality and once cleaned up this totally eradicated the light. Nearly a year on there is no sign of this returning.

Have a look and clean it out at worst it takes a little while to do, at best that annoying light goes away. Good luck.

Thomas
Well, the issue still remains. Now it happens everytime I drive.
Since I am not the biggest handyman myself and don´t have any lift it will probably be my mechanic figuring it out.
Just don´t think it will be right now since I have already spend close to 7k $ this year already.

I appreciate your tips
I will let you know once I have it fixed.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Ghengis
Instructor

I'm no mechanic so when I say 'we' my only part in that was driving to the shop and saying that the light is on.

From what I do know I am reliably informed it was a fairly easy /cheap fix with no parts required just a bit of cleaning. It also is done from inside the car.

Hope you are sorted out soon.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Differential Warning Light comes on - my 964