Sponsored by:

Replacement Carpet Underlay Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Carpet Underlay Question

Its time to replace my 14 year old carpet. Thge undrelay is rotted too from previous heavy leaks so that needs replacing too. I visited a local trimmer and he showed me what looked like domestic underlay. My worry is that it will be too much of a water retainer (the windows still leak occasionally). All the auto carpet sites I look at don't show underlay at all!

Can anyone who's done this job tell me what they used?
I guess my ideal is lightweight and which won't soak up the water long term (foam rubber based?).

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
ianellison
Racer

I replaced my drivers side underlay as it had crumbled due to getting an accidental soaking in hydraulic fluid. I bought a one piece moulded underlay/sound deadener from a Porsche OPC - its a standard porsche part. It is moulded to fit the floot contours and provide a level surface for the carpet. One problem was that the channel for the loom which runs parralell to the door sill was in the wrong place as the loom had obviously been moved and clipped further over. I had to trim the moulding to accept the loom and just filled the redundant channel with some fibre underlay.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Ian,
what sort of material is it?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 AM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUst last week, I came across a reference in the factory manual that says the older underlay has been discontinued and the new underlay will require the "re-position" of the wiring loom. My memory is that this is required of the passenger side. Looks like the driver's requires re-positioning of the wiring loom as well.

Originally Posted by ianellison
I replaced my drivers side underlay as it had crumbled due to getting an accidental soaking in hydraulic fluid. I bought a one piece moulded underlay/sound deadener from a Porsche OPC - its a standard porsche part. It is moulded to fit the floot contours and provide a level surface for the carpet. One problem was that the channel for the loom which runs parralell to the door sill was in the wrong place as the loom had obviously been moved and clipped further over. I had to trim the moulding to accept the loom and just filled the redundant channel with some fibre underlay.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM
ianellison
Racer

The material is a dense foam attached to a top skin of rubberised/plastic material which is the top surface on to which goes the carpet. The foam can be cut easily with a very sharp Stanley knife which is what I did. The wiring loom is anchored to the steel floor of the car with cable ties and screws and I decided that it was better to adapt the underlay to the wiring rather than attempt to shift the loom.

The thickness of the underlay varies from about 3 mm to maybe 30 mm according to the contours of the car floor which is why when fitted it produces a level surface for the carpet.

I did try traditional carpet underlay but could not get a satisfactory finish - I ended up with bulges it just didn't look or feel right under the feet.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

My inrterior-fitter reckons he can do a good job with the traditional underlay, but my worry is that it will retain moisture much more than the rubber type which I am guessing wil not let it penetrate in the first place. But maybe, what do I know?.....

I will contact Porsche and see if I can get hold of the fitted underlay. I wonder how much it costs? Does anyone else supply this stuff?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:36 PM
ianellison
Racer

I paid about £90 - pretty expensve for what it is!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
buck_31
Rennlist Member

I recently replaced both pieces of underlayment in the front of my 91. If I remember correctly they were about $50-60 each, but the worst part was waiting to get them from Germany..about 4 weeks!
Although they do absorb tons of water (that is why I replaced mine) I highly reccomend spending the $$ if your are keeping the car stock. As mentioned previously, they are contoured perfectly (except the passenger side mod mentioned - I moved the wire loom - big PITA) and leave a smooth flat surface for the new carpets.

Mark
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I ordered the driver's side today from Porsche. Cost over £100!.... Just for driver side. Hell, the passenger side can have something cheaper! And yes, from Germany.

Heavy rain here, and I'm getting a leak front right side corner dashboard to floor (driver side), but can't work out where coming from!

Quick Reply: Replacement Carpet Underlay Question