Ignition Wire Set ($$?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
xbit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Wire Set ($$?)

Hello All,

I took my 91 964 c2 into the shop to address a small arc that's jumping around on a few of my ignition wires. I was told they all should be replaced. I was also told that it will be $880 for a Beru wire set and 6 hrs of labor.

questions:

1) does 6 hours sound about right?
2) $880 seems kinda high for the parts. I looked around on pelicanparts.com and found part no. 10-8533-607-M47 for $648.75 (also beru). I was told by my porsche guy that the part number above was not the same as what he would be using. The part number hes using is 96460206098. After googeling that part number I found this page http://germanparts.com/AllParts/AllP...bers_1084.html . It looks like I can get a set of ignition wires for $395.00! could that be correct?

I don't want to buy a k-mart special when it comes to my new ignition wires but I don't want to get jacked around to the tune of $880!

Any info on what ignition wire set and where I could get them would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by xbit; 07-20-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

The Beru set comes with all the gasket and wire holders attached. This makes installing the wires somewhat simpler. However this task isn't easy. You still have to remove the exhaust to get those plugs. In fact the job is big enough that I'd want to change the plugs and possibly adjust the valves since you are right there. Heck, you're in this far...may as well do the caps and rotors also and finish the tune-up.

You can buy a set of wires from a Rennlist member Mark Robinson. They are wires only, you reuse your existing plug ends as they are not typically a point of wear. I did this and I'm happy with the final product. This is no small undertaking either however. You'll have to reuse all the wire keepers and gaskets. No big deal but more tedious.

In truth, six hours sounds about right for the job as getting the new wires into place includes removal of the exhaust and air blower and I had to slide the air cond compressor off the mounting base which meant that I had to remove the fan belts, etc. It is a task.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
1990-964
Pro

Hey xbit,

You can shop around and find oem wire sets complete for half of that. Yes, 6 hours is about right when you consider how much has to be removed and how poor the access is to some of the plug locations. When I did mine it took half the day, made no mistakes and took no breaks. Just be glad that this is not something we have to do annually. Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently did mine. The left side is easy. The right side is a bear for both the upper and lower set. Right side requires removal of the AC compressor and parts if the intake system. I don't think I could do it in 6 hours even with the benefit of the experience.

You do 75% of the work needed to adjust the valves and replace the plugs, so definately get that done while everything is apart. While you are making the investment, consider replacing the coils, caps, and rotors at the same time. You will not have to worry about ignition problems for a while.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:54 PM
1990-964
Pro

Removing the AC compressor would make a big difference but I did not, just the air box and was able to manage and get it all done in about 6 hours. One trick that saved me much grief was the wire holders on the front side of the fan shroud. Tie a string to your wrench and the other end around your wrist so when you inevitably drop it into the abyss of the engine it is easy to retrieve.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:13 PM
xbit
Intermediate

you guys,, thank you so much for this advice. very useful!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a complete set of Beru wires from autopartsonlinecanada(.com) for just over $100. I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived that they really were a complete OEM set with Beru and the plug numbers stamped on all the wires. PLus they even came with the two ignition wires! One problem, they only ship to Canada although I'm sure they must have an american counterpart. (Would be cheaper than the original $800 quoted!)
Old 07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Would someone living in Canada be willing to take shipment of these wires for me and forward them to New York?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That is the cheapest I have ever heard of anyone gettng plug wires. At the price we should all be changing our wires.

Kirk
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill second Dfinnegan's request. Would any Rennlister living in Canada be willing to buy a set of plug wires for a C 2 and ship them to me in Texas. This price is to good to pass up! If so, I would be very grateful.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:29 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

AutoPartsOnline is using photos from Worldpac so they are probably a Worldpac dealer BUT the price they are charging for the complete wire set is less than the wholesale price from Worldpac so something is not adding up! I would really think twice before installing these if they are knock-offs!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

i replaced my wire with magnacores. i think i paid 350.00. i bought the fat ones and they required some extra work to get them to fit into the wire holders but my engine was on a stand. they work fine BTW. i was a little concerned about EMI.....
Old 07-29-2007, 03:26 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

as I said previously I was skeptical, but the new wires (14 in all!) are identical to the old Beru wires on my car complete with the spark plug boots and even the little plastic organizers that bolt on to the engine shrouding! Even the ignition coil wires have the extra plastic covering (so they don't chafe or extra electrical protection where they come close to the cam cover?). I took a picture of them when I got them (out of disbelief) but unfortunately I'm on vacation and the pics are at home. I can post the pic in about 10 days....

I've installed the three wires on the top left bank and the ignition wires and the car seems to be running fine. We'll see after some time though if they are knockoffs they might start to prematurely fail.

he price is strange in that most of their other Porsche parts are close to or higher than my local dealer. The one other part I got from them that was cheaper than dealer was the CV boot kits. The dealer didn't have them in stock and said they would take 2 weeks. I got them within 3 days from online and about 2/3 dealer cost incl shipping.

BTW, these vacation weeks without the P-car are killling me! (poor car must be lonely)

Oh, standard disclaimer - no affiliation, yada, yada....
Old 07-29-2007, 05:51 PM
braol
Advanced

He's right about the website! Sounds like a Canadian conspiracy. I'd like a set of wires also.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 PM
greenjt
Racer

I could use a Canadian friend also.

Quick Reply: Ignition Wire Set ($$?)