Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro 964 RS or GT3 and why

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Joe: Thanks for chiming in. I somehow knew where you would be. You are a valuable resource here. If both cars were here (in the US) to choose from, my choice would be the RS, although price might have some bearing, although I am convinced the RS would be more bang for the buck when appreciation is considered. I would certainly look at a US 964 Cup, but where do I find one of those? Schmidt invited me up to drive the cars. If I can swing that later in the year, I will. Hope you are well buddy.

pu911rsr and cup car 86: I have watched you both posting over at the race board and have been impressed with your knowledge. You both add to my desire to find an exotic 964. Damn........

zicoramone: Speaking for the old guys, some of us do love the early stuff. The lightness of the cars make the art of driving very satisfying. I can tell you that the newer technology is appealing, but up against the RS, I'm not so sure. As for getting more chicks, (I never needed the car )

Keep going all...........this is great............Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
I think the term they used at the ring was for the GT3 gu's was Waterboilers.
We actually call them "kettles"! (I don't know if you use that term in the US)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I agree with the first three points, but find the fourth to be inaccurate... After all, the 964 is a 15 year old car!

Nevertheless, I'd seriously consider the RS. My next track car will be either 92 964 US Cup or a 996 GT3 Cup.... I just love both of those cars.

I chose the 996 GT3 Street because I couldn't find a 92 US Cup for sale and I had heard that one shouldn't learn on a 996 GT3 Cup...

-B
Why a US Cup and not a true Euro Cup? You need to register it for the street?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
As for getting more chicks, (I never needed the car )
me neither...but there is a bunch of guys over here that profess the monogamy lifestyle. You know, the ones that bend over their wives...hahaha...When we are chasing multiple targets....oh... the car may help a little in the end.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Based on my limited knowledge, a US cup car race prepared is the equal of a euro cup on a race track. If you can find one you don't have to deal with the issues of bringing a euro car into US compliance.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Based on my limited knowledge, a US cup car race prepared is the equal of a euro cup on a race track. If you can find one you don't have to deal with the issues of bringing a euro car into US compliance.
Define "race prepared"? Geoffrey might chime in here, but there are a few disadvantages to the US Cup in terms of track performance, namely things like without a lot of effort you won't get the light wiring harness of the Euro car, etc. I also don't believe the US Cup suspension is identical, but there are disagreements on that.

That said, although the fastest 964 Cups in PCA right now are Euro Cars, there are several USA Cups that run competitively in the group.

You don't need to do anything to "bring a euro car into US compliance" if you simply want one in the U.S. I imported my car last year with no problem because I brought it in under the race car exclusion. It can never be registered for the street in the U.S.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Simon:

You might be interested to know that Herr Röhrl is not the only famous member of the Weissach engineering/development/racing team that, as his personal car, chooses a 964.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Race prepared for the sake of this conversation is Andial conversion that was done to cars in 1992, I believe this allows car to compete in GTC1. I have all the Andial documentation don't know what differences there are between that set up and the Euro one. I think in Chris's original post his desire what to have a street legal car, what is street legal obiviously depends on where you live. I think in a race situation is very difficult to know what is car Vs what is the driver. I race against a couple of Euro cups, with experienced drivers they are nominally faster, with a better driver my car is faster. I would say my car properly set-up with a excellent driver (not me) is good 2:07-2:08 laps at WGI, I think those are reasonably competitive times.
Phil
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank You all for participating. It is somewhat clear to me that the 964 RS is the choice, certainly of those who participate here in the air cooled section and actually to some of the watercooled folk over at the GT3 board as well. I'm going to start a new topic about real world examples of those who might have done an RS Replica.

Cheers!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
a964man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Simon:

You might be interested to know that Herr Röhrl is not the only famous member of the Weissach engineering/development/racing team that, as his personal car, chooses a 964.
Robert, I would be interested to know............who is it?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 964 is probably, in my opinion, the best platform out there. You can do so much to it and here in US they are so cheap...so you can make a faily good clone and be happy and save some $$ on Federalizing, etc. That said, lets not get into a discussion about appreciation...everyone knows the RS will go up and a clone won't....but then again, I'm building for me not for my retirement I got other $$ for that.

Quick Reply: Euro 964 RS or GT3 and why