Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Cell Cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007 | 06:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's heart-warming to know that NJ's finest is out there protecting our lives from evil cat removing Porsche owners. Why, I'll bet that several dozen completely non-dangerous semis rolled by while he was laying under your car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-18-2007 | 12:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zicoramone
I'm sure it was the 964 sports/race catalyst bypass from Dansk.

http://picasaweb.google.com/zicoramo...74728191251202
This looks like the unit I have. http://www.automotion.com/productpag...ic+ConvertersI purchased it on Ebay for $3xx new. It is still considered a cat and will get me through the requirement with much less restriction.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It's heart-warming to know that NJ's finest is out there protecting our lives from evil cat removing Porsche owners. Why, I'll bet that several dozen completely non-dangerous semis rolled by while he was laying under your car.
Don't you just love NJ, always having their priorities up their
Old 07-18-2007 | 05:47 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
This looks like the unit I have. http://www.automotion.com/productpag...ic+ConvertersI purchased it on Ebay for $3xx new. It is still considered a cat and will get me through the requirement with much less restriction.
The exterior is in fact similar, but mine had no cells. Nada.
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:17 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Here in Texas, you get the emissions test when you get your normal inspection sticker and you only get the emissions test in the larger cites like DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin etc.. It's not done on a dyno either, just at idle and then 2500 RPM's. I live in Austin and can drive 15 minutes down the highway to the next county over and get my car inspected without having the emission test and it's not illegal to do so. There's no indication on the inspection sticker whether your car was emission tested or not. You either passed inspection or you didn't and that's all the cops care about. Most people get their inspections done at Jiffy Lube and the like where the technicians are still getting used to not having to say, "Would you like fries with that?" They hardly know what a cat is much less what it should look like. They always open up the trunk looking for the engine, etc... I've never been asked if I have a cat or where it is. They just test and if you pass, you pass. Cops don't inspect you for a cat either. They do however find plenty of other reasons to pull you over an mess with you though instead of chasing the real criminals.

Steve
Old 07-18-2007 | 06:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

I was surprised to find that mine passed the emissions "sniff" test here in Texas with the cat bypass installed.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Here in Texas, you get the emissions test when you get your normal inspection sticker and you only get the emissions test in the larger cites like DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin etc.. It's not done on a dyno either, just at idle and then 2500 RPM's. I live in Austin and can drive 15 minutes down the highway to the next county over and get my car inspected without having the emission test and it's not illegal to do so. There's no indication on the inspection sticker whether your car was emission tested or not. You either passed inspection or you didn't and that's all the cops care about. Most people get their inspections done at Jiffy Lube and the like where the technicians are still getting used to not having to say, "Would you like fries with that?" They hardly know what a cat is much less what it should look like. They always open up the trunk looking for the engine, etc... I've never been asked if I have a cat or where it is. They just test and if you pass, you pass. Cops don't inspect you for a cat either. They do however find plenty of other reasons to pull you over an mess with you though instead of chasing the real criminals.

Steve

You guys are lucky.

They reduced the testing to every 2 years vs yearly and you can go to private garage to have it done, assuming the pay the $50k+ for the dyno unit. Some may find ways to make your car pass although not legally. They are getting so controlling that they are talking about having cameras installed at the independent shops so the test can be witnessed and recorded to prevent cars that fail from being passed.

You have to love NJ.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:50 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

If your car blows "clean" what does it matter if you have stock cats, 200 cel, 100 cel or zero cel bypass. Clean is clean.
Old 07-19-2007 | 12:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter
If your car blows "clean" what does it matter if you have stock cats, 200 cel, 100 cel or zero cel bypass. Clean is clean.
I agree, go tell that the bureaucrats that impose the laws. NJ requires that a cat must be present if supplied that way from the factory, No exceptions, Your car can pass emissions but you would be in violation of their requirements and therefore the car is not considered roadworthy. Total joke, meanwhile there are issues all over the state that people get away with and they bust my chops over BS like this.
Old 07-19-2007 | 12:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

They have pretty decent looking stuff at there store.
Old 07-20-2007 | 01:17 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

I agree, go tell that the bureaucrats that impose the laws. NJ requires that a cat must be present if supplied that way from the factory, No exceptions, Your car can pass emissions but you would be in violation of their requirements and therefore the car is not considered roadworthy. Total joke, meanwhile there are issues all over the state that people get away with and they bust my chops over BS like this.
Thatr is why I ensured my car as a collector so I dont have to full around with the New Jersey B.S. anymore.

No front plate on my car either. Not required in NJ to pass inspection, a cop could still pull you over but I pull the collector car trump card.
Old 07-20-2007 | 01:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Thatr is why I ensured my car as a collector so I dont have to full around with the New Jersey B.S. anymore.

No front plate on my car either. Not required in NJ to pass inspection, a cop could still pull you over but I pull the collector car trump card.
I tossed around the idea of collector status but I don't like the collector car insurance companies and all the restrictions. Agreed value is great but if something small happens good luck.

You are right though it does make for a good way to get around the system. I don't run a front plate either. That is just a $250 fine if they want to bother with you. i'll take the ticket vs the plate which look ugly on our cars. Even worse on the 993's You would think Porsche could have done something better to incorporate the front plate. Even the earlier 911's had the plate under the bumper.
Old 07-20-2007 | 05:38 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

I tossed around the idea of collector status but I don't like the collector car insurance companies and all the restrictions. Agreed value is great but if something small happens good luck.

You are right though it does make for a good way to get around the system. I don't run a front plate either. That is just a $250 fine if they want to bother with you. i'll take the ticket vs the plate which look ugly on our cars. Even worse on the 993's You would think Porsche could have done something better to incorporate the front plate. Even the earlier 911's had the plate under the bumper.

Very true...Yes, police do not really bother Porsche drivers. I have never been pulled over or even looked at (last 6 years owning the Carrera). Now my Cobra on the other hand... Never pulled over eighter, but they have been know to do a double take, but they see an older (mid 30 year old) person and continue on eating donuts....HAHAHAHA...<<<now watch me get pulled over today....

Quick Reply: 100 Cell Cats