37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Panited Tail Lights Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Bill, Your lens look great!! Where did you find the Testors paint?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, forgive my ignorance, but Testors makes models, right? Was the paint you used airbrush paint or was it in a spray can?

Also, did you guys polish before clear coating or did you just spray color, dry, spray clear, dry, repeat and then polish after you were done with the clear coats? I really like the look of the painted lenses and, even more, I like the price!

-El Cheapo Grande
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wsybert, The Testors would have been a better choice for my car instead. Will try to sand this weekend and see how that will turn out. If it does not go well, I will take your advise and strip the paint with carb cleaner. What kind of clear did you use? The UV clear seam to take a long time to dry.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The paint I used was from a can, 3oz spray. It's Transparent Candy Apple Red. I got the paint from Walmart and used Testors Clear. You will need about 1 can of the color, and 3 cans of the clear. The stuff is very inexpensive. About $3 a can.
Don't try to use another clear over the testors color, it is not compatible. Ask me how I now... (also the reason I used the carb cleaner). I tried 3 types of clear, b/c I was looking for a UV resistant type. Not too worried about it now.

You may be able to fill the cracks, if you put a lot of clear coats on. I was able to get most of mine out. It will take you some time. Just put on medium to light coats, and keep them even. I let mine dry for about a week, then wet sanded and buffed.

EDIT: I wet sanded with 600 first, then wiped everything down with alcohol (90% isopropyl), then put on the color. Waited about 15 minuted for it to tack, then put on the clear. Waiting about 15 minutes between coats.

If you need any help, let me know.
Bill
Old 07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bill. That makes sense. I may give it a try in a few weeks!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lew964
I can have a look in the garage to see exactly which paint i used but it was nothing special.
Lew, i'd be interested to know what products you used if you don't mind
I think all 3 cars here with darkened lights look great, might have a go myself.

Quick Reply: Panited Tail Lights Yes or No?