Sponsored by:

New Speakers needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:48 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Speakers needed

Well, now I know why my audio system sounds like crap. I pulled off the speaker grills and to my surprise, only about half the speaker is still there. The center cone is there and seems to be working but its not connected to anything. I will post a pic soon.

I saw on some threads that people have put in speakers and it needed some modifications to get it fit right.

What Speakers can I install that would fit right in or require minimal mods?

Should I put 2-way speakers in or should I keep it the way it was originally (ie separate tweeters and woofers).

Is there any benefit to the 2 way over the stock type set up?

I am not looking for a killer audio system...that is what the G-pipe is for. I am looking for some modest sound to listen to some tunes once in a while.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the separates. It's a good idea to allow the tweeter to be closer to your ear, and also to physically isolate it from the mid-base. Typically separates also have better cross overs (the things that send the high notes to the tweeters and the rest to the woofer or mid-bass. That's not to say that a high in coaxial speaker would not sound better than an entry level set of separates. But holding all else equal the separates are better. I think when you say "2-way" you really mean coaxial (the tweeter is in the middle of the woofer). If there is a tweeter and woofer then the system is technically a 2-way, whether it is a coaxial or separates.

I just took a pair of descent Pyle separates out of my 91. They came in the car when I bought it and I assume the PO had installed them. If you'll pay shipping I'll give them to you to experiment with. I was going to list them on eBay but used speakers don't sell well as people are usually afraid that they are damaged. Send me a PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I just replaced mine with Alpine SXE-1350S components in the front and some SXE4625S in the rear, again because the old ones were shot. Minimal modification to enable the existing grill to be used with just a bit of filing and routing of the existing plastic ring surrounding the woofers and some glueing of the tweeters into the orignal supports. All I have noticed is I have to turn it up a bit louder and run them in a bit but they sound great for such a reasonable price. Not sure if you can get this in the US though.
Steve
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
loot87
Racer

Here's a good thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=37335

I went with 6 1/2 components instead of 5 1/4. The tweeters, main, and cross don't just drop in,but it sounds good. I used Polk, but the grills were hideous. I got grills from Infinity (and they didn't even charge). Rod Birch also has some that will work and that look stock ($20). If you find something of the quality you want that comes with good looking grills, then that would be easiest. I just removed the shroud and didn't make a new one and put the cross in the door pocket. The thread above is much more slick.

For the rears, I read a thread from somewhere that the Infinity 4x6 "plate" speakers drop right in (mid and tweeter are side by side instead of coaxial) and the stock grills snap right on. The mid is obviously smaller in this configuration and I wanted more bass, so I went with Infinity coaxial 4x6's. I chucked my old plate speakers, but I should have saved them to hack up and use to remount the grills (the 4x6's don't come with grills).

Quick Reply: New Speakers needed