Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro seat mounts (split from the Random 964 Picture Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I split the seat mount discussion off the Random Picture Thread.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
What seats are you using?
I am using the Recaro SPG seats.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Yes, Schroth hybrids.

Same thing - I already got them installed and it only took a little DME relocation.

Drill the hole just big enough for the bolt and mount it with a huge reinforcing plate underneath. I tried using the 996 B-K sub bars but the angle was totally wrong so I had to drill the holes.

Marc
Looking forward to the details in your write-up.
Schroth specify that the sub belt must run 20 degrees backwards, no more and no less.

The only place to mount the B-K 996 bar was either at the front seat mount holes (way too far forwards) or at the rear seat mount holes (too far back). There is nothing to mount the bar to at the ideal location and, being handier with a Dremel than a welder, this seemed to work.

The only other option would have been to sandwich the sub-bar between the sliders and the side brackets but that would have required some extensive sub-bar mods to make it fit and then the sub-straps would be relying on the same mount bolts as the seat -- I'd rather spread the load out between different bolts. Safety is not a compromise.

If you have pictures of a successful mount that puts things in the right place, I'd love to see them as I could not make it work.

Marc
I was thinking maybe you didn't use the B-K bar because it's not a legal place for the subs in PCA club racing. Don't know about SCCA or POC.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cway: I am confused - the picture of the 996 GT3 side mounts do not look like the side mounts in your other picture?

Marc
Marc sorry if I misslead you. The recaro sliders were just to show you how all slidders look the same except for amount of holes.

To Larry and others;

To use the 996 sliders there is no problem. You just have to bend the front tabs and cut the guide pins underneath (don't worry, stock seats sliders don't have them). With those little mods, the entire package fits but like everybody said, you will be sitting high. Instead of buying new side mounts, I decided to re-create the BK ones (like the picture cobalt posted). I drilled another set of holes and cut the sides with a slant in order to clear the lap belts holes. Once all the edges were filed, I spray painted them flat black and installed them back. Oups noticed that by lowering the bucket, the seat bottom was now hitting the handle mechanism for slidding. A quick ben here and there and now everything works fine and the seats are lowered.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Marc sorry if I misslead you. The recaro sliders were just to show you how all slidders look the same except for amount of holes.

To Larry and others;

To use the 996 sliders there is no problem. You just have to bend the front tabs and cut the guide pins underneath (don't worry, stock seats sliders don't have them). With those little mods, the entire package fits but like everybody said, you will be sitting high. Instead of buying new side mounts, I decided to re-create the BK ones (like the picture cobalt posted). I drilled another set of holes and cut the sides with a slant in order to clear the lap belts holes. Once all the edges were filed, I spray painted them flat black and installed them back. Oups noticed that by lowering the bucket, the seat bottom was now hitting the handle mechanism for slidding. A quick ben here and there and now everything works fine and the seats are lowered.
Interesting. I used the B-K side mounts with Sparco sliders and seats and I'm sitting lower than I was with the stock seats. I can actually fit with my helmet on without slouching now.
Larry-was your ECU relocated to install ring bolts for the subs?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Marc,

I had some issues with my mounting of SPG XL's, for what it's worth here is the thread. Lots of good pictures here if that helps..

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=recaro

Quick Reply: Recaro seat mounts (split from the Random 964 Picture Thread)