Sponsored by:

Broken Exhaust Studs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:57 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Broken Exhaust Studs

I am getting ready to sell one of my 964 cars. To make sure the car was 'right' I pulled the engine and trans apart and have been doing a complete re-seal on the motor (92K) and trans. I am also changing the exhaust studs as a few were suspect and having had the exhaust system ceramic coated I didn't want to reinstall it on sh*t studs.

One stud has broken off flush with the head. 4 others don't want to budge. We are taking the engine over to a buddies who has a torch for the 4 but what about the one broken off?

Can anyone point me towards a special tool for drilling it out? I have the h-coils, etc. Just need to get it out...

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to your automotive store and buy an EZE-OUT for that excact studsize, may have to convert metric to standard. Center punch the broken stud, and drill with the recommended drill size, this is the most importent part of the job, make sure your drill is dead center, I like to drill deep enough so you go right through the stud. Heat the area around the broken stud, you dont want it too hot, around 200 degrees. Now tap the EZE-OUT in with a small hammer, not too tight as you will expand the broken stud, and then try to turn it, and if you are lucky, the stud will come out. If this does not work, drill the whole thing out and HELI-COIL it, that why it was importent to drill the hole dead center.
Good Luck
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks man. I will see if I can locate one here (ez-out).
Old 07-04-2007, 07:26 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a long thread, but there is a specific tool made for this problem if you want to buy it.
Or you can put your head into a drill press without the alignment tool and drill out the center of the old stud, and use an easy out to remove it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...aust+stud+tool

Kirk
Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks. Not going to pull the head... I HOPE!

you guys are the best!

Quick Reply: Broken Exhaust Studs