My new (er, slightly used ) P-car; 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
.....- would it (a bypass) ever pass in Ga?
The Georgia inspection includes visual verification that the cat is present. If the shop knows what a cat looks like, they will flunk you and could report you as well. A few extra hundred $ to stay legal is a good investment if you plan to use the car on the street.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

So for Ga. its either sports or swap out.

Derek- did yours pass the sniff and visual test?

For me the bypass is just a temp fix- the whole 964 exhaust system appears to be 40 miles of bad road. Its very heavy and restrictive.

I'm working with a vendor on an out of the box solution (sort of) that is expensive but will drop considerable weight and should gain appreciable (AND dyno measureable hp). And it should sound great (if you like the soundclip in my signature).

It will be dual outlet so will necessitate a turbo bumper or cutout of exting one adding to the cost and hassle but it should be worthwhile it providing a quantum improvement.

Stay tuned (pun).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Fabspeed and it looks very similar to the real cat. The pic of the Dansk shows it even accepts the heat sheilds, Im pretty sure the Fabspeed or the Dansk would pass a visual inspection as they both look similar enough to the real cat. The O2 sensor is present and they bulge out like the real cat. You also save about 10 lbs with the Fabspeed.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
So for Ga. its either sports or swap out.

Derek- did yours pass the sniff and visual test?

For me the bypass is just a temp fix- the whole 964 exhaust system appears to be 40 miles of bad road. Its very heavy and restrictive.

I'm working with a vendor on an out of the box solution (sort of) that is expensive but will drop considerable weight and should gain appreciable (AND dyno measureable hp). And it should sound great (if you like the soundclip in my signature).

It will be dual outlet so will necessitate a turbo bumper or cutout of exting one adding to the cost and hassle but it should be worthwhile it providing a quantum improvement.

Stay tuned (pun).
The turbo cutout won't work with a narrow body car because of the extra width where it meets up with the wheelwell. You'll need the narrow body left side valence. I think Design911 sells one and maybe FVD.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Not sure what I'm going to do longer term with the car. I may do wb conversion. If so I'll get the turbo bumper etc.

If I decide that, shortterm I may just cut an opening and repsray- or get the valence you suggest- thanks.

I should have a plan- and I do, but it only extends to mechanical functional side of the car. Part of me says leave the aesthetics alone ( e.g I have interior issues and spider cracks in some of the lights and reflectors). The other side of me has gotten used to a pretty clean 993 and "hips" in the rearview mirror- once I get the car dialed mechanically I may not be able to resist doing some of these other things. Going wb is obvioulsy the big committment.

I'm still dithering.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I have a FVD left(nb) valence. Decent fit that allayed the initial concerns of my bodyshop that's seen their share of poorly fitting aftermarket pieces.

Congratulations on your car. Always good to see another modder here!

Noah
Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

They have emissions testing in Ontario (and perhaps other provinces too) but not in Alberta where I am. I don't know if it would pass (but a bypass would certainly not!).
My car passed emissions testing here in Washington state with a cat bypass.

For what that's worth...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fabspeed dual outlet.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Nice. Thats NB I presume- hard to tell from the angle.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
David,

I have a FVD left(nb) valence. Decent fit that allayed the initial concerns of my bodyshop that's seen their share of poorly fitting aftermarket pieces.

Congratulations on your car. Always good to see another modder here!

Noah
Pics?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car, you can't beat silver! Congrats!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Pics?
Chris,

Sorry, no. I believe Gettydesign also has the left valence/muffler cutout. May be less expensive than the FVD. FWIW, this was my first experience with FVD and, while the part shipped from Germany, they met their projected delivery time. Always welcomed.

With plans to replace some other pieces and try different vendors, I have an opportunity to gain in opinion. Hope it's all this pleasant. :-)

Noah

Quick Reply: My new (er, slightly used ) P-car; 964