Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo quit due to ABS disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:47 AM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo quit due to ABS disconnect?

I disconnected my ABS on my RSA this weekend at a race as part of a troubleshooting process. I had disabled the ABS by both removing the relay and disconnecting the harness from the ABS control unit. Noticed later during the last run my speedo quit working.

Anyone know if the speedo operation is dependant upon the ABS electronics, or was this a coincidence and now I have a speedo issue to boot?

Brake problem turned out to be not ABS related after all, same symptoms without it - seems I'm boiling the fluid (ATE Blue), so trying to determine if I should go to Valvoline Synthetic or Motul. Any recommondations? How do you flush the ABS pump, solenoids, and accumulator without a Bosch Hammer?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS Sensor = Speedometer sensor

Disconnecting the ABS or pulling the fuse for the ABS will render the speedometer inoperable too.

If you have a C2, a normal brake flush takes care of the ABS system. I had the ABS pump go bad and give me brake problems until it finally got tracked down (replaced everything else). I now lo longer have ABS but maintain the electronics (for a bit anyway) in order to have a speedometer.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:45 AM
kimo964
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
ABS Sensor = Speedometer sensor

Disconnecting the ABS or pulling the fuse for the ABS will render the speedometer inoperable too.
+1, and it will also make your retractable spoiler have a mind of it's own....if you had one.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWidow964
IBrake problem turned out to be not ABS related after all, same symptoms without it - seems I'm boiling the fluid (ATE Blue), so trying to determine if I should go to Valvoline Synthetic or Motul. Any recommondations?
If you are boiling fresh ATE blue, then your brake piston temps are getting over 536°. I would recommend a better brake cooling system. You can run higher temp fluid to solve the problem, but you are already baking your seals and boots and will have seriously reduced caliper life.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Good thought on the cooling system Larry. I guess I'm going after the sympoms rather than the disease. Any suggestions on ducting to the brakes? I have the air scoops for the fog lamp holes, but getting anything efficiently ducted to the rotors has been a mystery. Can't seem to find a decent rotor surround for an RSA. One issue is mine has been upgraded to 965 front/rear calipers and rotors. the only ducting kits I've found have been for earlier models with different (?) hub setups. Currently I have some ducting that picks up from scoops under the belly pan, and the hoses dump the air next to the inner side of the rotors without any kind of surround - just a hose that's ended at the lower ball joint pointing towards the rotor. Not very sophisticated, I know, but I haven't found anything that's a truly well-engineered setup for my car yet. Any suggestions of where to search?

I had rock hard pedal last spring at Thunderhill, never had pedal issues. Now here closer to home (Seattle, Portland) on much cooler days I'm getting a mushy pedal every once in a while at the end of long straights. I rebuilt my calipers this winter - new seals & boots - and the brakes feel ok most of the time, but never have come back to the rock hard they were. Using a Motiv power bleeder, no leaks, has stainless hoses, never get any air when I rebleed. I assume it's boiling by process of elimination. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? I am getting down to the end of a set of pads (Pagid Oranges) - would that give me pedal issues if I'm trying to use them up too far?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

RE: brakes, I would read post 6 & 11 here (edit, link changed): https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...brake+pad+heat

Knock on wood, I don't have problems w/ ATE, run the stock calipers (although new), and run RS-19s....and I run my car hard.

Last edited by forklift; 06-21-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Thanks guys. The heat "transfer through thin pads" reasoning is making sense to me - never had the problem except when trying to push the use of pads beyond 50%. I had heard before that one shouldn't use the pads past the point the "frost line" contacts the backing plate. Now I think I understand why. New Pagid Yellows on the shelf I've been waiting to try, so in they go - and then we'll see if messing with a different fluid is in order if the problem persists. I'll let you all know - thanks again for the "edjimicashun".
Old 06-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of things that you may want to check as well that will affect your braking. If your wheel bearings are getting loose, you may get pad knockback after running over curbs or bumps, which would result in a long pedal when it occurs. You said that you rebuilt your brakes over the winter. Any chance that the rotor is not properly seated against the hub. Maybe a peice of dirt/crud got behind one.

As far as ducting, you really do need a shroud that feeds air into the center of the rotor. That seems to give the best cooling. I have them on my car, but don't know their origin. BTW some pads, like PFCs tend to transmit a lot of heat into the calipers, where as others like Pagids have better insulating properties and the calipers run cooler. At least that has been my experience.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only use AP 600 or SRF brake fluid. Anything less is just that. We have made cooling ducts that take air from the front grills via NACA ducts and use very high quality hose with a smooth inside to get the air in to the wheel well. From there, simple aluminum deflectors affixed to the inner fender direct the air right to the back side of the rotor. That is a standard upgrade and it seems to resolve most front brake problems our clients have encountered.
Good luck, Jerry
Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

I was ideally wanting to find deflectors like those described by Larry, which push the air into the center of the hub/rotor. Anyone know a source for 964/965 applications? I have the scoops, just want a better place to route that air to than just the inside surface of the rotor.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes - actually take a look at this idea (cheap too)
it looks pretty slick and effective
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2002/4-2002.htm

Quick Reply: Speedo quit due to ABS disconnect?