Sponsored by:

Door speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speaker replacement

I need to get some replacement door speakers for my car, as the edge has finally gone. Has anyone got any recommendations for what will fit and sound reasonable without too much cash? Also would you replace the tweeters too to match, or just the mid/bass? I measured the hole, etc but before I start phoning around if someone has already solved this problem that would be great.
Steve
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Polman
Pro

……Actually. I’m picking my car up tomorrow with a complete overhaul, new door speakers with tweeters and filters, 2 x small active subwoofers, amplifiers, and the brand new Blaupunkt stereo with just a 4 GB memory card, a classic look in black that will melt in good in the dashboard. No more CD:s. I let you know how it sounds. Pictures if you want ! The cost is, with labour around 1700 US dollars
Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see other long post
Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

I found some pretty good and cheap speakers which will fit if the plastic piece around the OEM speakers is modified. Mine are 5.25 inches from Legacy, but there are probably a lot of others.
The mounting tabs are a little different, so I put a milling cutter in my drill press and milled out the slots in the plastic piece so the speaker fit in them. Then you can use the original grille over the speaker.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a short guide on my site of replacing the stock speakers with Infinity 6" components:

http://www.target-earth.net/cars/porsche/index.html
Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Megatron,

Those were 6 1/2" speakers you put in, right? Looks good!

-JD
Old 06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Ah yes, my bad - 6.5"s
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I'm about to do 6.5's and I was basing it off of what I saw on your page. I just wanted to make sure that mine would look as good as yours.

-JD
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

I used the Infinity grills, which fitted almost perfectly in the original location (with a bit of fiddling). The latest models have a nasty plastic grill that looks more at home in a boy racers car though, so be careful with your speaker/grill choice - I'm pretty sure the standard grill won't fit back on with 6"/6.5" speakers.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Oracle
Pro

Last week I bought the 5" 1/4 Kenwood speakers.
The speakers and screws fit just perfectly in the original holes. And because I kept the plastic rings underneath the speakers I could re-use the OEM grills so you can't see anything that doesn't look original.
The sound is just awesome (well the blaupunkt were crap and sounded like that)
Old 06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put in JL Audio ZR 6.5" speakers on one side of my C2 (doing the other side next week). I had previously put a JL 2x150 amp in, but just couldn't put up with the 5.25" Infinity's that came in mine. I also Dynamatted the door. It provides for an interesting comparison, and can definitely vouch for the vast improvement in sound (at least in half of my car). As the ZRs have an aluminum support surrounding the speaker, I had to cut out a bit of the cardboard in the door (used snips then cleaned it up with a Dremel), but it was an easy job. Until I find a larger replacement moisture shield, I just cut out half a DreamWhip tub, and duct taped it to cover the speaker. Seems to be holding up well, but I will see if I can adapt a boat moisture shield. BTW, if you have Tweeters in your neighborhood, you might find a good buy on components there (got the speakers and amp there for more than half off). The ones here in Texas are all going out of business.

Quick Reply: Door speaker replacement