Sponsored by:

Noise Annoys

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Annoys

Ok, ok so I knew I'd get told off sooner or later. And at least it wasn't the cops. But I arrived home tonight to find a letter from the Council's Chief Environmental Health Officer saying that he'd called to discuss "noise from your motor vehicle" and would I be so kind as to give him a ring? I'm presuming that it's a neighbour who's complained about the anti-social double-bypass (ie no silencer) on my 964 turbo. Now I do admit that it's loud in the extreme and must wake the whole street up every morning. I don't want to p'iss the neighbours off. Nor do I fancy the Council taking me to court. But I didn't really want to have to put the cat back on so soon!

My question is; should I avoid Mr Council, what can he do? The car's just got through its MOT (just). Can I just hide for a bit and see if he calls again? I'm guessing that he's gonna get me sooner or later... .

911addict, your car must be sounding similar to mine - are you getting away with it?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Well, if it's good enough to pass inspection than you should be fine. Tell your Mr Council that. Be friendly to your neighbors and offer them some earplugs. Sheesh!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My neighbor has a ricer with one of those loud exhausts and wakes me up sometimes an hour before I'm ready to get up... At least my Porsche sounds better... Offer to take your neighbors for a ride... Get them involved.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It cant be worse then the damn boom box cars around here the rattle my house windows from 1/4 mile away. It would be nice if they wold play a different song. All I hear is boom boom boom
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Sten
Pro

The Environmental Health people have some hefty powers - you could be issued with a prohibition notice! They are more used to dealing with loud stereos or barking dogs though.. I don't use my car as a daily driver, but if I'm going to work or out early I'll push the car out of the garage, then try to drive away quietly - cat bypass and g-pipe, it's quite loud. My next door neighbour thinks it's great, he refers to my garage as Tracey Island because he's never sure what's coming out next...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Think I'm gonna call them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. I'll play the innocent card - 'it passed the MOT and I thought everything was fine, it really isn't that loud you know'.

In my heart I know that I'm being pretty antisocial - EVERYONE comments on the exhaust at traffic lights. The one today winked as he said 'road-legal of course...'.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

I don't know if you have motor cycle gangs in your country but we have them here and boy are their Harleys loud and I don't see them putting silencers on their straigt pipes. Maybe you should start wearing some biker colors for your neigbors to see - no one here seems to complain about them. I know I wouldn't complain! LOL

Bill
90C2
Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kusee pee: double bypass? And no cat? Ho Boy! That is too much. You are looking for trouble sooner or later.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I highly recommend being earnest and playing stupid. Give 'em the old:

"Oh really? Wow, I didn't realize that it was loud. I mean it passed inspection and I can't really tell loud noises you know after serving in Her Majesty's Royal Army during *fill in age appropriate war here*. You know I was in the artillery, sir. What's that? WHAT? I SAID WHAT??"

I bet he'll really like the part where you pretend to be deaf.

-JD
Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, I reckon the day I drove your C2 away, the neighbours sighed, "thank f*** for that"! Little did they know what was going to happen next

Come on mate, do the sensible thing. You're a teacher FFS
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
madmoog
Racer

S'pose you've had your fun for a while....

... and I'm concerned that with a G pipe trackday noise limits may be a problem
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Be civilized and put the muffler back on. This will not have a happy ending if you don't.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

here's my suggestion:

Spend about $1000 on a 1985 honda CRX... Immedieately remove the exhaust and cat and replace with a 6" exhaust. Proceed to start car every morning at 6AM and rev until warmed up for approximately 3 weeks.

After that, your neighbors will petition to have the 911 back, I promise
Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did Mr. Council id your Porsche in the nice letter he left? If not, arrange for the council guy to come around just after you've swapped cars with another local lister for a week or something and tell him whoever made the complaint must be mad !
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

A quick update guys. I phoned Mr Council and acted completely ignorant and amazed that my neighbours were complaining of being woken up every morning. Said I'd pop round and offer my apologies, park at the other end of the street etc etc. Mentioned it had just been MOT'd and that there had been no problem at all. Mr C was more than happy with all that and said that he'll tell the neighbours what a nice guy I am and that they should let me know personally if it continues to be a problem.

Which it will be of course. It really is horrendously loud and the popping and banging is unreal. I get noise-fatigue on the way to work! So...I'm gonna give it another month and then if a) my ears can't take it or b) Mr C gets more complaints or c) The cops pull me...I'll get the cat back on. Damn

Quick Reply: Noise Annoys