Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain to me how my 964 did this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 AM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The driver has huge impact on performance. I was at a trackday last week with an instructor - when he was driving my 964 C2, he was able to catch and pass a 997 GT3 and pull away from a 996 GT3 RS. He was quite impressed with the C2 (although a bit too much understeer, and more low down torque needed) - this from someone whose 'work' car is a 997 GT3 RSR.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IanR
The driver has huge impact on performance. I was at a trackday last week with an instructor - when he was driving my 964 C2, he was able to catch and pass a 997 GT3 and pull away from a 996 GT3 RS. He was quite impressed with the C2 (although a bit too much understeer, and more low down torque needed) - this from someone whose 'work' car is a 997 GT3 RSR.
Ian, was that Sean Edwards by any chance? Tell us more about the day with him.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Well I don't claim my car to be a cup car by any means but for a C2 it is well setup. The heavier sways and suspension help but the engine reminds me very much of my old 3.2 Max Moritz which pumped out about 270 hp. Very responsive and I find with the light weight flywheel I can rev match perfectly something that was not easy to do with a 915 tranny. Almost felt like an auto trans the way it you can make it slide right in at exact rpms. I know I could not do that with my turbo and the duel mass FW. The big differences were that with the turbo you can easily get lazy and keep it in one gear using the turbo to power when you need it. The C2 was constant shifting through the twisties and had to keep it between 4k and redline or else. A lot of work but so much fun.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think at a certain point, say the 964 () there is a law of diminishing returns. I, too, have noticed that the uber $$ cars are not pulling away from me as fast as I'm sure the owners of said $$ cars would like. Imo, a 964 is a fast car. Anything more (stock and within reason) may be faster, but not so much that it leaves you like you're standing still.

Observations on the road but mostly track- my cars is:

-slightly faster than a somewhat modified E36 M3

-slightly slower than the average 996

-definitely slower than the E46 M3 (they just seem so fast!)

-slightly slower than the TT cars

-faster than all the Audis

-slightly faster than a G35

-About the same as a 2004 Mach 1 - until we get to the corner

-slower than an old acura Integra - what the hell he did to make that car so fast I'll never know

-Waaaaaay slower than a highly modified E36 M3 CSL widebody track car.

All of these are impression based on acceleration coming out of a turn and on to a long straight where my terminal speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 150. Also, in my case, it is definitely not the driver.

Quick Reply: Please explain to me how my 964 did this?