Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replace their climate control unit (CCU) with a more manual solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:12 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone replace their climate control unit (CCU) with a more manual solution?

Mine is finnicky.. i want something I can turn the blower on full at any time - regardless the air temp in/out/engine.

I drove a 90 C4 coupe back with 9k miles in '96 and it was this way, and my 90 C4 Targa is acting the same way - so I'm not sure if it is normal or what..

But... I'd prefer just to have a manual temp slider and fan speed. Has anyone done this? I imagine it'd be somewhat simple (ahahahah!), with the wiring diagrams of the inputs and outputs.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nekbet
Mine is finnicky.. i want something I can turn the blower on full at any time - regardless the air temp in/out/engine.
I'm not certain that I understand completely.

You mention "air temp in/out/engine." Are you refering to the rear blower?

I'm confused, because unless your fan speed control ****/pot has a problem, can't you just crank the ****? Or push your defrost button, too (I think). Sorry, it's been a while since I played with mine.

If it is the rear blower, isn't a symptom of a failure in the rear ducting sensors (NPT resistor/temp sensor?) that it drives the rear blower to full? Sorry, once again, it's been a while. If so, is it possible (or safe) to install a switch between one of these and the CCU to make it think that the engine wants the additional (electrical fan) cooling?

As an aside, your post caught my eye as I did install a Rube Goldberg manual kludge into my HVAC.

My temp servos were not communicating well with my CCU temp slider, so I wired up a reversing toggle switch to a 9V battery to drive the flappers as desired. This works well as I only need to drive the servos off of full cold occasionally during the Florida winters. The device is enclosed within one of those tiny Radio Shack project boxes, and a wire is run into the trunk to two new servo plugs. Tastefully inellegant! Though, I think that it's time to send the CCU off to Loren.

No help, but good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace their climate control unit (CCU) with a more manual solution?