Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am finished with hand polishing, time to machine polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hildy- if you need help, give me a call. I use the Griot's buffer myself and use the Griots polishes. I will switch- see above for reasons.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to Zainos.

I've never used a machine to polish but have found that a good wash with Dawn, clay bar, and 2 coats of Zainos does a very good job. When I took the car out from its winter hibernation and gave it a good wash the shine was outstanding. I had last polished in August and I was pleasantly suprised by the longevity of the product.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Zaino. I've been using it for several years. Sal Zaino used to recommend 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for paint prep. I don't see this on the Zaino website anymore, but I still use it. I have a P-C and they're great, but honestly, I get a better result with the 3M stuff by hand on my black cars. I think black is the least forgiving as far as showing swirls. Takes a lot of elbow grease, but worth it. After you do it initially, it's a piece of case to maintain it with the Zaino system.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawk911
Hildy- if you need help, give me a call. I use the Griot's buffer myself and use the Griots polishes. I will switch- see above for reasons.
Hawk-Can't remember where you are located. Maybe we could hook up for a "polishing party" (easy boys ) in the very near future? I would love a ride in your car too as I want to upgrade my suspension and you have what I am probably going with. I'm in Cedar Grove and would be happy to host or will gladly travel. Maybe Jay H would like to get involved?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hildy911
Hawk-Can't remember where you are located. Maybe we could hook up for a "polishing party" (easy boys ) in the very near future? I would love a ride in your car too as I want to upgrade my suspension and you have what I am probably going with. I'm in Cedar Grove and would be happy to host or will gladly travel. Maybe Jay H would like to get involved?
I'm in Racine, and would be glad to host up a wax-on GTG. Jay still owes me a trip to the new house, but he's busy putting together the club tour for this weekend. We can try for something in July. I'm actually getting fairly busy with my part-time gig of detailing cars and right now I'm booked until June 30th.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

I'm in Racine, and would be glad to host up a wax-on GTG. Jay still owes me a trip to the new house, but he's busy putting together the club tour for this weekend. We can try for something in July. I'm actually getting fairly busy with my part-time gig of detailing cars and right now I'm booked until June 30th.
Sounds good.

On the club tour, I haven't gotten the memo on that. This weekend?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
hawk911
Race Car

www.porschepark.org/events. It's always a great run- lots of curves, and plenty of fun roads. Try to make it, if you can. The "memo" is sent as part of Porsche club membership.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

www.porschepark.org/events. It's always a great run- lots of curves, and plenty of fun roads. Try to make it, if you can. The "memo" is sent as part of Porsche club membership.
I'm a PCA member but no memo. Looks like fun and that is my birthday. I should be able to do anything I want to on that day right?

PS-sorry for the hijack. To get presentable for the tour I'll polish and post results.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I'm just hoping to be running and present; forget presentable. sorry for hijack x2
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

As promised, I'm posting results, if a little late. To recap-I bought the Griots polishing kit which comes with the orbital polisher, wax pad, polish pad, claybar, speed shine, machine polish 3, and best in show carnuba wax. It also came with a guide book and dvd. I read the book, watched the dvd, and started. The instructions are easy to follow-first wash the car. No problemo. Next- claybar the area to be polished - easy and doesn't take long at all. Time to buff-scary, but easy. The "machine polish 3" seems hardly abrasive. It went on easily and stayed wet. I sprayed a little water on the polish to keep it wet and simply wiped it off with a poly towel. It came off smooth and easy. Next - wax. I used the buff pad, but by hand as I was just doing the hood and fender tops. I couldn't see using the orbital for applying wax. Unfortunately, as the sun set, the dew point went up. Here in the midwest, we get dew quickly. As a resut, the wax didn't want to dry. I used the Griott recommended cotton cloths to remove the wax. What a PITA. The cloths suck. Save your money. I used my autozone poly cloths and it took the wax off pretty well, whereas the Griotts cotton cloths just smeared the wax around w/o removing it. It was getting dark so I moved the car in the garage. Under the florescent light it appeared that most of the swirl marks, which were caused by drying the car that had been rinsed with hard water, had been removed. Driving it today and parking it in the sun confirmed this. The car looks great. Some deeper, straigh, short marks remain, but I suspect they were caused by the crappy cotton clothes and the extra effort trying to remove the wax. I believe that I'll polish again, earlier, and use the poly or turkish cotton cloths for quicker removal of totally dry wax.

Overall I'm very satisfied. The car looks great, and it was pretty easy.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Hildy, thanks for the update. I've always wondered about Griots... Some folks knock them - but for those of us who are novices it seems a good way to go..

Road America? Will you be at the BRIC in July?

-Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by nekbet
Hildy, thanks for the update. I've always wondered about Griots... Some folks knock them - but for those of us who are novices it seems a good way to go..

Road America? Will you be at the BRIC in July?

-Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Yeah-I was skeptical too. I didn't want to shell out for some relabeled pos orbital. But, it seems pretty well made and the results are there so I'm happy.

On BRIC-name changed to "Kohler Intnl Challenge". But Yes-I plan on attending. Especially since this years featured marque is Porsche.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Hildy,

Cool... I'm in Dayton but work in Chicago.. so I'm going to drive the 964 up, then head up to Road America with a friend from Crystal Lake who has an 88 or 89 Targa... He's been, I'm a noob there. Had no clue the P-cars were the features. Spiffy!

Regards,

Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Gentleman- be prepared for some awesome cars. I have firsthand knowledge of some cars that are scheduled to appear for special exhibit. I don't know how much I can divulge about the museum cars, but they will be awesome. Other cars scheduled thru a Rennlister will be a CGT and GT3 RS. Brian Redman is scheduled to appear, along with Porsche dignitaries.

I know this because I'm one of 2 photogs for the weekend. Look for the guy with the camera and a huge grin!

Hildy- the Griot's cloths are pretty good IMO. The trick for wax removal is a bit of speedshine; the wax just wipes right off then. Since you've bought the products, and watched the DVD, does that mean you aren't up for a tech session at my house?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Since you've bought the products, and watched the DVD, does that mean you aren't up for a tech session at my house?
I am definitely up for a tech session. Unfortunately, June 30th is bad for me. I'll be out of town that weekend, the next, and out of the country the 2 weekends after that. I will be back for the Bric (I still call it that too ). Any weekend after the Bric works for me if you're planning something then.

Btw-Need anyone to carry your camera equipment?

Quick Reply: I am finished with hand polishing, time to machine polish