New Strange Gurggle noise! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:31 PM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Strange Gurggle noise! HELP

Hi,
Can anyone please help shed some light on a new noise i've picked up.....

Upon starting the engine from cold I now get a strange Gurgling noise. It appears to be coming from the engine, inside the car.
It cannot be heard outside the car.
It Stops after about 5 minutes.
The car appears to be running fine and performance is normal.

I ALWAYS used to get a gurgling sound after start up but it came from the door sil. I was told that was normal and is just the Oil returning to the engine down some pipes that run there - This noise has now stopped after 5 years!

My oil sender is broke and I can never get the dip stick out the car with out dragging it on the inside somewhere - what I'm thinking is... could this new noise be that maybe I am low on oil??? I've had none in since a full engine out service 10 months ago OR is it something more sinister?

Please can someone please advise
Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 AM
kosh
Advanced

My Last service was the one one where the engine was removed and tapets etc replaced.
Could my problem be in anyway related to that??

Mines a C4 964 1990 right hand drive.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I just had the 60K service done by one of the best Porsche mechanics in my area. When they changed the oil they used an oil that I was told is designed for diesel trucks. I now get that gurgling noise if I listen for it. The car is running very good so I am just assuming that the new oil is just noisier in the tubes. (noisy oil lol)
Old 05-24-2007, 03:10 PM
JONES199
Advanced

I had my all oil lines replaced last year; my mechanic warned me that now that everthing was all cleaned up I would hear some funny noices from rear passanger seat.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

It is most likely the oil returning to the oil tank...That noise is common on a dry sumped 911 engine.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've been told its "normal" too, but that gurgling sound from the right hand sill still sounds strange to me when I hear it. 911's have a voodoo all their own...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 AM
kosh
Advanced

Like I said though, the Noise from the sill has STOPPED and this new noise is unmissable - I don't have to listen for it, just leave it idling.

Maybe it's me but I think its getting louder.
When it was serviced they did fit a new oil pipe that runs inside the rear arch as my original had corroded badly. - but why has it only started it now some 10 months later??

Also another minor observation - the noise dosen't start immediately after ignition. It takes about 10-15 seconds before it starts & lasts up to 5 mins.

I'm scared its going to cost me and after paying out £3.5k last year i'm a little gutted.
Should I just risk it with the dipstick and try putting Oil in it??
Or could there be air in the oil system?

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Graham L
Racer

would getting the oil level sender fixed help you? if nothing else it'd give you some confidence that the levels were right or wrong, and they are a pretty easy fix...just a thought.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 AM
kosh
Advanced

I could, but my garage did tell me that they were a bitch to fit unless they splice the wires and his opinion was that they are not as accurate as the dipstick.

So does having low Oil cause it to gurgle?

What Oil should I put in - I'm not looking for Ultima or anything just a sensible oil. (Diesel engine oil perhaps?)
Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Superunknown
Racer

I get the gurgling every now and then, doesnt worry me.

I had the oil level sender replaced recently, the part is only £65 but the mech said it was a bugger to change because it was rusted solid in the wheel well. And he also said to go off the guage because it is accurate and easier to read than the dipstick!

FYI, i use Magnatec gtx 10-40
Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 AM
rodders
Racer

I bought my C2 new in Oct 1989 ( and still drive it every day ) - at 120.000 miles my engine let go ( normal use but oil starvation - using Mobile 1 - happened again 5 years later on a replacement engine !! )
However, the oil in the original engine never made a sound ( oil gurgle from the oil tank in the rear wing ) - when i replaced the first engine i replaced the oil lines/thermostate/rad/and the oil tank.
THe result was horrible gurgling from the oil tank
All the work was done by Stratstones - Porsche Main Agent
This would have been in about 1994/5
I was told it was because Porsche had rationalized the 964 part with the 993 part and that was why it gurgled - was it some thing to do with baffles - I forget - over the years i am now overwhelmed by exhaust and gear chatter noise
- oil gurgle - wots that ??
Fit a pipe and a LWFW and all other noise disappears
Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
kosh
Advanced

I'm going to play with the dip stick this weekend and see how I get on.
If the oil looks low, i'll bang some in and c what happens.

If there's air in the system can I 'vent' it in any way (probably a stupid question)

Thanks for all your help guys!

Quick Reply: New Strange Gurggle noise! HELP