Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need one last part to be legal! (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007 | 01:12 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Question I need one last part to be legal! (exhaust)

My new-to-me 964 C4 came with an aftermarket header/exhaust setup. My state requires that there be a catalytic converter in place for registration, so I need to remove all that, and restore the stock exhaust (at least for a little while.) I have been rounding up parts, and had most of larger pieces already. I am missing one final bracket, which is the one that supports the front (of the car) end of the secondary muffler, behind the passenger rear wheel. It is a triangular shaped bracket, which bolts somehow to the underbody.

Part # OEM-96411111304
and it shows in the parts diagram as #13

The URL is Parts Diagram

Yes I could buy one.. but I am trying to save money, expecially if this isn't going to stay on the car for long. I am considering a G pipe, but the one I have relies on that bracket as well.. so it seems I need to find one.

OR.. does anyone have experience in that part of the car, and is willing to offer advice on fabricating a bracket? It should be pretty straighforward, and I can bend up a piece of steel.. I just need to know where it would attach under the car.

Thanks to Marque Motors (Kurt) in Portland, who has been quite generous with help and pieces by the way.. he is a super guy...

Thanks in advance!

--tcb
Old 05-23-2007 | 02:14 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Here's a link to Porsche salvage in LA: LINK to get you started on your search. I'm sure that there are others out there - and other members can suggest some better places OR may have the part to sell you!

Pertaining to adding a G-Pipe: I'm not clear what you have or what you will be (re)installing after you pass inspection. Some other more experienced types may have to chime in at this point . Why wouldn't you reinstall the header system?
Anyhoo, good luck
Old 05-23-2007 | 02:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've been looking for a cheap used one for about 1.5 years!!! If you find one, then no longer want it, I'll buy it from you!!!!

I am surprised they care if the secondary muffler is installed or not. They should not. A G-pipe should not need any bracket to attach it. The primary muffler hangers are more than enough to hold up the system.
Old 05-23-2007 | 02:53 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Sorry.. let me clarify... the secondary muffler is not required.. just the cat and one muffler (primary or secondary). I have a good primary, and a good secondary.. but hanging the secondary requires that missing bracket. Unfortunately the G pipe I got is rather long (a Fuchs built one), and it has a support extension that goes forward and utilizes the same bracket as the secondary muffler would.. so I need the bracket regardless of my secondary solution...

Without either one.. I am ending at the primary output.. which needs something to be pointing in the right direction... ;-)

Either that or a short G pipe that doesn't need a hanger...

Thanks for the link to the dismantler.. that is very helpful.
Old 05-23-2007 | 04:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I don't know what's cheap to you but here's one for $45 which is less than a third the cost of a good G pipe.
Old 05-23-2007 | 07:29 PM
MorganB1
Advanced

I wonder why this same part is over 3x more expensive at Pelican?? Just to special order it from Germany??

That link to dC Automotive is a great deal! I tested it all the way to the checkout and the price held and it’s supposed to be in stock –though they seem have a $50 min order.

I just did Oregon DEQ and all they are checking for is a visual confirmation of the cat and a muffler. I had to chuckle, when at first they rolled the ‘mirror’ under the front of the car. “Now where’s that pesky engine gotten to?”
Old 05-23-2007 | 08:09 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Yes.. I ordered the bracket from dC.. we'll see if I can get it by the weekend.. when I plan to do the exhaust work... otherwise I think I can fabricate a temporary bracket (bust out the welder and some scrap stock... ) but eventually I'd like the real part just to keep it all correct...

I love going thru DEQ with my Fiat X-1/9 since the engine isn't in the front.. or really in the back either..

Quick Reply: I need one last part to be legal! (exhaust)