Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight masking stickers for euro driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight masking stickers for euro driving?

Hi all, feel a bit thick having to ask this but not convinced by crap instructions with my euro motoring kit.
The instructions say use the round masking sticker for the 911, showing it placed to the right-centre of the headlight. Is that correct ?
My confusion comes from the fact the instructions also show another diagram for what they call 'modern headlight lenses' with line patterns and a 'sloping baseline'....in which case it shows the round masking sticker on the lower left hand side of centre of the headlight.
My car is a 1990 964 and does have a line pattern and a sloping baseline in the Bosch headlight lenses, so are the instructions referring to older 911's when they say '911' ??

Anyone know exactly where i should be putting the sticker-masks for driving in france ?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I used to get a pair of truncated , triangular stickers that stuck over the same pattern on the headlight lenses.
Seemed to satisfy the Gendarmes around Le-Mans every year !
Boy, you have got me thinking about Le-Mans and the 24 Heures .Ah well , bit far to drive from here !!!

Geoff
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the headlight from the front of the car you should see a roughly triangular section moulded into the lens towards the left hand side (i.e. RHS of the car). The black stickers need to cover that triangular section on both headlights.

All it does is to eliminate the left hand (as seen from the car) beam deflection intended to illuminate the kerb. Obviously, when driving on the Continent, that beam deflection is right in the eyes of oncoming traffic. The black stickers just make the headlights dip vertically with no biased spread to the left.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

thanks computamedic, but so shouldnt the sticker go on the right hand side of the headlight (as you look at it from the front) to stop the light going off to that side ?
I cant see how putting it on the left side of the lens will prevent light blinding people on my left as i'm driving.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that simple!!! The purpose of the lens - and the moulded design in it - is to refract the light beam. The left hand beam deflection I mentioned is caused by that part of the lens on the right hand side (as viewed from the car). Trust me!!

Regards

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

Thanks for your help Dave.

Quick Reply: Headlight masking stickers for euro driving?