Sponsored by:

Bilstein HDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 AM
BLK964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HDs

I have some dumb questions. If I'm about to order new HDs, what else do I need to order? Do they come with boots? Do people re-use the bump stops? Anything else I might need?

Thanks.

BTW - I'm planning on going with H&R springs
Old 05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

While I don't know what the set-up comes with as ordered I would just get everything new. That way you won't have to worry about the old parts failing prematurely. The bump stops and boots are not an easy replacement, plus if you go back in there you would need an alignment afterwards. Also be sure to order the correct parts since there was a change in the mounts and one size does not fix all. Check out the write up at p-car.com or John's 964 page.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bilstein HD's have internal bump stops. They come with new boots too.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished installing HDs and H&R springs. Search on my username for a related thread and info including final ride height.

The HDs come with everything you need including boots and new lock nuts for the top mounts. You have to cut the original bump stops, Bilstein says 3/4" but I found about 1" was required to get the top mounts installed. One thing that Bilstein does not supply is an adjusting wrench for the spring mounts.

As Craig said, be sure and know what rear mounts you have, particularly if you have a MY91. Adrian's book has a description of what the rear top mounts look like and you can look at them from the engine compartment. Bilstein and Adrian's book claim the new rear mounts went in effect after 11/1/90, but my build date is 10/24/90 and it had the new mounts.

Lastly, get a 4 wheel alignment after it's done, this is not an option!

Look forward to driving the car with this new suspension! It's like night and day.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
BLK964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Doug, I'll check out your thread regarding your install. It's interesting that they would tell you to cut down the bump stops, if they already have internal bump stops. Mine's a MY90, it has the early mounts and I have the part numbers for the early rears. So, as long as they send me the part numbers that i order, I should be ok. I'll have to hunt down an adjusting wrench for the springs. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,
To clarify on the bump stops it's the fronts that get trimmed.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HDs