Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove 997 C2S Tiptronic... Fell more in love with my 964 !

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Test drove 997 C2S Tiptronic... Fell more in love with my 964 !

Hi people,

For some weeks I have been debating with myself to change my 964 for a newer Porsche - Cayman S or 997 C2S are my options

Well, I went to the dealer today and test drove a 997 C2S with Tiptronic transmission. Immediately (yes, immediately !) I felt very disappointed with this car... The sound cannot be compared at all with my 964...

On the other hand, the Tiptronic transmission is terrible. Very slow, up or downshift. It really kills the feeling !

I test drove last week a new TT with DSG transmission and it's true what the magazines say... DSG is by far the best automatic transmission, nothing compares to it !

Well, after my test drive of the 997 2S I took my 964 and just after starting it, wow ! The sound is awesome ! The roughness of the gear box, pedals and all is really an experience...

Gotta love the 964 !
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree about the C2S.

To make it work, for me, it needs the power kit (including the sports exhaust, which creates a decent noise - not decent like a 964, but at least it sounds like a real engine) and a manual gearbox. Those things make for a very different car. But you have to be pushing it somewhat to reveal all that, unlike the 964 which is very characterful and involving whatever the speed.

I drove a DSG TT recently and was disappointed with it. OK, I'll agree it's the best auto, but it's still an automatic. I don't like the fact that it changes up for you at the redline and still has some other automatic functions too, even when in manual mode. Within a few miles, there just didn't seem to be any point to not just let it do its own thing. I'm old-fashioned, but if I can't heel & toe and double declutch, I miss it. I like to have all four limbs involved (I always fancied learning to fly helicopters, but that's another story).
Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, did you try driving it in manual mode or did you keep it in Drive?

Originally Posted by 964C4
Hi people,

For some weeks I have been debating with myself to change my 964 for a newer Porsche - Cayman S or 997 C2S are my options

Well, I went to the dealer today and test drove a 997 C2S with Tiptronic transmission. Immediately (yes, immediately !) I felt very disappointed with this car... The sound cannot be compared at all with my 964...

On the other hand, the Tiptronic transmission is terrible. Very slow, up or downshift. It really kills the feeling !

I test drove last week a new TT with DSG transmission and it's true what the magazines say... DSG is by far the best automatic transmission, nothing compares to it !

Well, after my test drive of the 997 2S I took my 964 and just after starting it, wow ! The sound is awesome ! The roughness of the gear box, pedals and all is really an experience...

Gotta love the 964 !
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronone10
Just curious, did you try driving it in manual mode or did you keep it in Drive?
Put it in manual mode, off course

The up or downshifts are terribly slow...

Really shocked how a Porsche 911 in the 21st. century has such a bad automatic transmission

Sure a 997 2S with manual tranny would be much more involving, but it was really shocking for me to drive it with tiptronic...
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964C4
Put it in manual mode, off course

The up or downshifts are terribly slow...

Really shocked how a Porsche 911 in the 21st. century has such a bad automatic transmission

Sure a 997 2S with manual tranny would be much more involving, but it was really shocking for me to drive it with tiptronic...
Is it any better or worse than 964 tiptronics from the 90's?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TT DSG has a terrible reputation... lots of maintenance issues IIRC.

The worst is the constant overheat... hence why Porsche has not adopted it yet. But, for me, if a Porsche has an auto trans, it aint a real Porsche. IMO of course
Old 05-18-2007, 04:42 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I wouldn't say the Tiptronic is 'terrible', it's just that it still 'suffers' or shall we say 'has the characteristic' of being very much an automatic transmission that the driver can overrule. Kind of...
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the opportunity to drive a 997 C4S with a manual box. They are beautifully engineered cars and sound nice near the redline. And of course they go very, very quick (much quicker than you think until you look at the speedo).

However, it seemed to me that they almost drive themselves, you can't feel the bite point of the clutch because it's so light, the brakes feel a little soft (they're not of course) and you can't feel the road surface through the steering wheel. It didn't have the drama or the smile factor of my 964.

If I was given one I'd gladly accept it and use it as the daily driver and bring the old girl out for the weekends and tracks
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Why not test drive one with a stickshift? sounds like a lot of your complaint has to do with the auto box, which is out of place for a 911 in my opinion especially if you're comparing it to a stick 964...

I must admit, I saw a silver caymanS at night in NYC the other night, and the car really looked amazing...I'd try one of those in stick too and see if you like it! BUT, you'd have to keep the 964 in the stable, becuase none of the new cars have the same personaility as the 964/pre 90' 911s
Old 05-18-2007, 11:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
Why not test drive one with a stickshift? sounds like a lot of your complaint has to do with the auto box, which is out of place for a 911 in my opinion especially if you're comparing it to a stick 964...

I must admit, I saw a silver caymanS at night in NYC the other night, and the car really looked amazing...I'd try one of those in stick too and see if you like it! BUT, you'd have to keep the 964 in the stable, becuase none of the new cars have the same personaility as the 964/pre 90' 911s
I found with all these newer cars they are very capable but not very exciting to drive. Had a run in a Caymen at our local autocross event. It was so easy to drive and didn't complain when I made a mistake like in my C2. I improved on my best time of the day in my C2 by one full second. Needless to say as much as I enjoyed the Caymen I am so much happier going slightly slower in my C2. A sports car needs to challenge, seduce and excite its driver, something all the newer cars have lost in the quest of going faster.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
I found with all these newer cars they are very capable but not very exciting to drive. Had a run in a Caymen at our local autocross event. It was so easy to drive and didn't complain when I made a mistake like in my C2. I improved on my best time of the day in my C2 by one full second. Needless to say as much as I enjoyed the Caymen I am so much happier going slightly slower in my C2. A sports car needs to challenge, seduce and excite its driver, something all the newer cars have lost in the quest of going faster.
Better said, impossible !
Old 05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Mike Lowry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing better then the smells,squeeks rattles and the pure enjoyment of a classic air cooled 911.If i want a smooth car to drive then i'll just drive my wifes Honda pilot.The new cars are very refined and can run very good but I'll take my drive any day.I'm 30 years old and i would also like to go back to an earlier car like a 356 ,just to go back in time and feel like part of the car.

Quick Reply: Test drove 997 C2S Tiptronic... Fell more in love with my 964 !