Bilstein (PSS9) Shock Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Bilstein (PSS9) Shock Installation Questions

At the beginning of the year I purchased a used PSS9 setup from another Rennlister and sent them off to Bilstein for rebuilding. The rears were blown so it took a while to (get the parts and) rebuild the shocks so I just got them back yesterday. Unfortunately I have no documentation so I'm a little lost when it comes to the order of putting everything back together. Does anyone know the order of the pieces below from the front shocks? #1 is the original bump-stop so I don't need that? #3 (flange bushing) is for monoballs so I also don't need that? Is the proper order 2, 4, 8, 5, 7? or #2, 6, 8, 7 or ??? When I received the PSS9s they came with #2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and the original stock suspension came with #1, 6, 7 and 8. Does it look like I'm missing anything?

Can I install the rears as-is? I found a photo from Bill Gregory's RS installation that looks like he did exactly that but if anyone could confirm I would really appreciate it.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

IIRC the instructions that came with my shocks showed 2, 4, 8, 5, and 7. Do you have a spring compressor? You'll need it for the rear. LMK if you want me to send you mine. Just PM me your address.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
IIRC the instructions that came with my shocks showed 2, 4, 8, 5, and 7.
thank you so much for the quick response! Would you happen to know if I need to install any of the old rear shock mount onto the PSS9 or does what I have look alright?

Originally Posted by ilko
Do you have a spring compressor? You'll need it for the rear. LMK if you want me to send you mine. Just PM me your address.
I rented one from Autozone ($40USD refundable deposit) but thank you for offering. I might be on the look out for a ride height wrench. Bilstein was supposed to send them with the shocks but didn't. I will try to Macgruber something first.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 463 Posts

Jason, your rears look just fine (if they look like Bill's) since that mount matches the original style mount (three threaded studs). I would mount them right up!

What do you need a spring compressor for? Are those shocks that long you can't get them on without it? Hmmm.... those darn helper springs!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
I would mount them right up
I installed them and had the alignment & ride height set last week. How difficult is your DIY alignment with smartstrings? In the future I will probably be setting the alignment myself. I ended up paying double the original price I was quoted because of poor communication between the Porsche dealer's service advisor and their mechanic. If I had known prior that I was going to pay what I did I would have rented a trailer and driven 3+ hours across the state to EPE (the shop I used before I moved to where I am now) for an alignment and a corner balance. Or even taken a chance with my tires and driven an hour further south to Connecticut to a different shop.

What do you need a spring compressor for? Are those shocks that long you can't get them on without it? Hmmm.... those darn helper springs!
I didn't want to take any chances damaging myself so I compressed the front springs before I removed the top shock/spring mount from the old assembly.

This is my home-made tool for the front shocks
I based the design of my special tool on yours... (thanks!)

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 05-22-2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I didn't want to take any chances damaging myself so I compressed the front springs when I removed the top shock/spring mount from the old assembly.
Yes - it's a little exciting to undo that top nut, waiting for the spring to pop!! I just do it with my foot on the spring to keep it still while loosely holding a wrench - the body of the strut usually shoots about a foot or two across the floor. I don't think my disability carrier would approve of such actions, though

Quick Reply: Bilstein (PSS9) Shock Installation Questions