Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   jack stands (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/352117-jack-stands.html)

Dwane 05-15-2007 09:19 AM

jack stands

How do you guy's get the car so high off the floor sitting on jack stands?
If you lift from under the motor, where is the jacking point?
I have a 22" jack.
thanks

deep_uv 05-15-2007 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You lift from the split in the case near the oil drain plug. Use a piece of 2x4 or a hockey puck between the jack and engine. It also helps to have a nice set of flat top jackstands for added safety. I can have the car off of all 4 wheels in about 15 minutes.

Steve

kgorman 05-15-2007 11:30 AM

Steve,

Where did you get your jackstands and those cool little wheel chocks?

ltc 05-15-2007 11:35 AM

Jackstands:
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=255

1990-964 05-15-2007 12:40 PM

Steve,
What do you use as a central jack point at the front end of the car? I have wondered how to do this without damaging anything.

Darren

DWS964 05-15-2007 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ltc

Has anyone found any other flat-top jackstands (not quite as pricey as these), or have modified more common jackstands? Pictures would be helpful.
Of course, this is a critical safety item that I do not want to take chances with.

Kahdmus 05-15-2007 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by kgorman
Steve,

FYI -- Sears stocks chocks exactly like that! Love those stands though...

ltc 05-15-2007 02:02 PM

IIRC, there was a group buy on these, in order to get better pricing.

TR6 05-15-2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DWS964
Has anyone found any other flat-top jackstands (not quite as pricey as these), or have modified more common jackstands? Pictures would be helpful.
Of course, this is a critical safety item that I do not want to take chances with.

I know of one club racer that simply took the cheaper axle type jack stands and used welding gear to cut off the axle fitting and welded on flat pucks in their place. Seems pretty cost efficient provided that you know how to weld and trust the strength of your work. I've never understood why a pair of jack stands costs $185....

deep_uv 05-15-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1990-964
Steve,
What do you use as a central jack point at the front end of the car? I have wondered how to do this without damaging anything.

Darren

Darren, You use the rear jack point that's just in front of the rear wheels to jack up the entire side of the car, place the stand under the front jack point and lower. Repeat for the other side. Then use the engine case to lift the entire rear.

Regards,

Steve

deep_uv 05-15-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by kgorman
Steve,

Kenny,
Itc posted the place to get the jackstands above. I searched all over for a better deal, but that's the only place that I could find them.

The wheel chocks I bought at a local O'Reilly auto parts. They say AC/Delco on the package. They only had one set or I would have bought 2 sets. I'll have to drop back by there and see if they've restocked.

Greg, Yes, they're expensive, but really worth every penny as you don't have to worry about dumping the car. Axle stands are way too scary for me although some people get by with using them. You know you want a set. ;)

Regards,

Steve

TR6 05-15-2007 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by deep_uv
You know you want a set. ;)

Yeah, I'm suffering from axle stand envy...
:D

jjbunn 05-15-2007 09:05 PM

You lift from the split in the case near the oil drain plug. Use a piece of 2x4 or a hockey puck between the jack and engine. It also helps to have a nice set of flat top jackstands for added safety. I can have the car off of all 4 wheels in about 15 minutes.

Steve

I want your workbench, and your garage, not to mention your jackstands! Those are envy-inducing photos!

kgorman 05-15-2007 09:06 PM

Ok thanks!

Kenny,
Itc posted the place to get the jackstands above. I searched all over for a better deal, but that's the only place that I could find them.

The wheel chocks I bought at a local O'Reilly auto parts. They say AC/Delco on the package. They only had one set or I would have bought 2 sets. I'll have to drop back by there and see if they've restocked.

Greg, Yes, they're expensive, but really worth every penny as you don't have to worry about dumping the car. Axle stands are way too scary for me although some people get by with using them. You know you want a set. ;)

Regards,

Steve

ronone10 05-15-2007 10:47 PM

Well, someone step forward and organize another group buy... :corn: