Sponsored by:

ABS failure on one wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:09 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS failure on one wheel?

So as usual did a bunch of searching trying to find an answer to this one... No luck. I am sure someone will come up with a thread that addresses this in 2 seconds

Anyway did a car control clinic (PCA) a week or two ago and noticed that my right rear funtions like it doesn't have ABS. Under braking exercises it would leave a nice long strip. I am new to the 911 and that was the first time engaging the ABS. The good is that I don't feel the ABS coming in as much as I have in previous or other cars, the bad is that while the other three wheels seem to operate ok, the right rear just locks. This was confirmed by braking exercise instructor looking away in horror as I flat spot my tire heheheh

Here is the stranger thing, according to the bentley book the ABS valve controller (or whatever it is called) only has three valves. FR, FL and Rear. The most logical explanation is that the valve for the RR is frozen, but if the rear only has one valve that can't be the reason right?

As for the history, it is a '91 C2. ABS light was on in '04 when the previous owner took it in for service. Guy I bought it from solved the ABS problem by replacing all the sensors and 'finding a short' in the harness on the RR. So the right rear has been a problem for awhile.

I just can't think of anything other than that valve controller. The sensors are good cause if they weren't the ABS light would be on. The other three don't leave marks so I assume they are working ok as well.

So any clues or insights as always highly appreciated.

-Dave
Old 05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Dave,
Just a small thought but are the two calipers working the same way ? How about winding some load on the brake pedal in incremental steps and checking rear wheel turning torque ?
If there is a caliper issue it would be easier to fix than the ABS !

Geoff
Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM
dboyle
Intermediate

Hummm I haven't checked the calibers but would assume that if the caliber was bad it wouldn't lock. Basically as I understand the abs system if it wasn't seeing the teeth sensor going on/off (meaning lock) it will disengage the brake.

I will check however, would love it if was that simple

-Dave

Quick Reply: ABS failure on one wheel?